PDA

View Full Version : Circle within a Circle

steaks38
02-19-2008, 07:23 PM
I have tried numerous times to design a coaster on the software. It is a 4" diameter with a symbol in the middle. The piece of wood is 1/2" thick. I would like for coaster to have a 1/4" outer edge and then step down 3/16" so that a piece of glass (3.5" diameter) to fit down inside of the outer edge. Then after that, the piece of wood would drop down another 3/16 to the bottom of the symbol. Every time that I try this, the symbol in the middle disappears. If anyone can follow what I am explaining, please advise. Thank You in advance.

ChrisAlb
02-19-2008, 08:22 PM
I have tried numerous times to design a coaster on the software. It is a 4" diameter with a symbol in the middle. The piece of wood is 1/2" thick. I would like for coaster to have a 1/4" outer edge and then step down 3/16" so that a piece of glass (3.5" diameter) to fit down inside of the outer edge. Then after that, the piece of wood would drop down another 3/16 to the bottom of the symbol. Every time that I try this, the symbol in the middle disappears. If anyone can follow what I am explaining, please advise. Thank You in advance.

If you post your mpc file we can take a look and get a better idea of what you're trying to do. Plenty of folks in here to help. Anyway, here's my stab at what I think you mean. If it's close feel free to use it. Take a close look at how it's set up so you can see how it was done.

Hope this helps...

Chris

Kenm810
02-19-2008, 08:24 PM
steaks38,

Are you looking for something like these?

steaks38
02-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Chris,

That is exactly what I am trying to do. Thank You. Do you mind explaining to me the steps you took to do that?

hotpop
02-20-2008, 12:52 AM
Here's the coasters I make. Your welcome to it. Just change the pattern.

ChrisAlb
02-20-2008, 04:22 AM
Chris,

That is exactly what I am trying to do. Thank You. Do you mind explaining to me the steps you took to do that?

Really pretty simple steaks, I'm sure you have most of the steps already.

1) Placed the first 4" circle and did a cut path and flipped the cut.
2) Placed the second 3.5" circle and carved the region 3/16 deep
3) Placed the third 2.5" circle and carved the region 3/8 deep (won't show up until step 4)
4) Right clicked on the second circle and picked "Merge Style Additive"
5) Dropped a pattern in and set the depth to .25" and the height to 40

Posted it for you. Only thing I didn't do was be smart like both Ken and Mel and put more than one on a board....lol

BUT, assuming you want to be smart like them as I hope to be one day..., For easy alignment. Work with those steps locking each to the center (horizontal & vertical). When you finish the first coaster, go to the carving list on the left, pick each, one at a time and "unlock" them from both the horizontal and vertical. Once everything is unlocked (still in the carving list here) Select the top one, hold the shift key and select the bottom one so all are selected. Right click and pick "Group". Now you can pick the "Group" and move it over to the left or right. With the Group still selected, Right click and copy. Then paste as many as you like on the board you're using.

Alternative to using Shift to select all, You can hold the CTRL key and pick one at a time till all are selected. They give you this option so you can pick individual item "between" other items if you don't want ALL of them selected. Just like selecting files on your computer.

Tip: I use the carving list to do all that picking, unlocking, grouping, copy & pasting etc... so I don't inadvertently "move" any of the objects with my mouse. I did this so many times in the beginning while learning and just couldn't figure out why things were not lined up the way I set them...lol Since then, that carving list has become my best Friend. You can "Name" the groups coaster 1, coaster 2 etc. for example as well if you like. On bigger more complicated designs with LOTS of elements in that list, it's an easy way to keep it all organized

Hope this helps you start "rolling coasters"....eeewww that was bad...LOL... only on my first cup of coffee here.

steaks38
02-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Chris,

Thank you again for the step by step answer. In the past I have done four to six coasters on one piece of board. I am excited to try the new design with the inlay for the glass. I will post pictures of my finish product. I hope to help you out someday, but it sounds like you are way ahead of me.

ChrisAlb
02-21-2008, 05:43 AM
Chris,

Thank you again for the step by step answer. In the past I have done four to six coasters on one piece of board. I am excited to try the new design with the inlay for the glass. I will post pictures of my finish product. I hope to help you out someday, but it sounds like you are way ahead of me.

Steaks, I'm glad I could help. Actually, I'm learning there really is no "ahead of each other" in here. While I'm learning to do one thing, another is learning to do something else. So in sharing, we ALL learn that much faster! I highlighted that statement because, truth be known, you've helped me already Steaks. By asking the question, you made me go try something I never have before. Now I know how to do it as well. I had to chuckle a bit also because I remember asking a very similar question when I first joined the forum...LOL. Due to all the knowledgeable and very helpful folks in here, my learning curve has been much easier and quicker. I've needed some new coasters and your idea is GREAT. In fact, I now know what to do with some scrap Plexiglas I was going to toss so thanks for your help as well.

Can't wait to see the result's so YES, please be sure to post them. We LOVE pictures!

Eagle Hollow
02-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Hope this helps you start "rolling coasters"....eeewww that was bad...LOL... only on my first cup of coffee here.[/QUOTE]

Chris,

Your directions worked very well, but I can't figure out how to get this pattern to carve flush with the recessed carve region. I would be glad to fill the first glass to sit in the coaster just for you in exchange for your help.

Thanks,

Jerry:confused:

ChrisAlb
02-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Chris,

Your directions worked very well, but I can't figure out how to get this pattern to carve flush with the recessed carve region. I would be glad to fill the first glass to sit in the coaster just for you in exchange for your help.

Thanks, Jerry:confused:

OK jerry, I know what the issue is....working on your file and the explanation now...will post shorthly........

ChrisAlb
02-22-2008, 08:29 AM
OK Jerry,

You just forgot the ‘Third” circle in my instructions and the “Fourth” step making the second circle “Additive”. Also, because the STL pattern's oval sides come up to the top of the bison itself, I had to change the STL “depth” to .4” and then pick the “height” up to 300 so the bison didn't disappear into the oval too much.

Take a close look at this mpc I made and ALL the settings for each of the elements and it should become clear. If not, just ask.

Chris

DocWheeler
02-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Chris and Jerry,

You guys are having too much fun! With the additive/subtractive feature, I was able to get what I think Jerry was after.

Thanks for leading me to this learning! Freezing rain - I'm staying home today!

DocWheeler
02-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Chris,

You beat me, glad to see that I was on the right track.

Kenm810
02-22-2008, 08:34 AM
It is Fun Sharing http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Hi Jerry, look at photo 3 -- I made the Bison Negative and changed the Depth and Height a little

ChrisAlb
02-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Ken,

TOO much fun...lol?? IS there such a thing???

I like your variation on the coaster but I think (like Steaks) he's looking to have the pattern raised up from, and not carved down into the bottom.

Sometimes I learn more from questions than answers...lol

YEP! STILL HAVING WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!!

Wish I could stay home...6 inches of snow and falling still. Have to pick the wife up from work at noon! BURRR

Eagle Hollow
02-22-2008, 09:03 AM
First: There's no such thing as too much fun!!
Second: Thanks to all you fellow carvers. Chris, I didn't convey to you exactly what I was trying to do. I was successful in designing the coaster per your instructions and will use it with glass insert. But also want the results Ken and Ken have achieved. Thanks to all the response. You guys are great!! Would you post the mpc's for them?

Jerry

ChrisAlb
02-22-2008, 09:08 AM
My mistake Jerry, But as long as you got what you're looking for.

Sorry (Ken's)...lol Bad assumption on my part.

Kenm810
02-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Hey Chris, I liked your too!

DocWheeler
02-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Jerry,

It does not show whether it is additive or subtractive in my mpc.

I set the STL to zero depth and 200-600 height and Subtractive, I had never done anything like that before. Oh, and I think I had to invert the image.
I messed with it so much that I forget what else I might have done.

ChrisAlb
02-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Hey Chris, I liked your too!

Thanks Ken. We can credit Steaks with it as it was that question that led me there. I'm going to make a few coasters myself that way. After all this typing and long hours at the computer, my coffee coaster is wearing thin!! LOL

ChrisAlb
02-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Ok guys, Just for "too much" fun, One more variation.

Eagle Hollow
02-22-2008, 09:43 AM

Chris, That's great! Can you post your mpc? All this tutoring has me fired up! Maybe I can make some sawdust.

Thanks, Jerry

Eagle Hollow
02-22-2008, 10:04 AM

OK guys, This is far as I can get??? What's the secret?:confused:

Kenm810
02-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Go back to post #14 in this thread
I posted the Mpc file back then http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

For Coasters 1/2" Thick use this Mpc File

DocWheeler
02-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Jerry,

Just for kicks-n-giggles, save your mpc as a new named mpc, select your STL, set the depth to zero, height to 500, SUBTRACTIVE, and invert.

That was what I learned from this exercise.
You can also do it the way Kenm did it.

Eagle Hollow
02-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Ok, The light just came on over the horizon of the learning curve. Thanks everone for you help and patience. Jerry

Eagle Hollow
02-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Jerry,

Just for kicks-n-giggles, save your mpc as a new named mpc, select your STL, set the depth to zero, height to 500, SUBTRACTIVE, and invert.

That was what I learned from this exercise.
You can also do it the way Kenm did it.

Here's what I finally ended up with...Thanks Ken, Ken, Chris

ruggybear
02-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Kenm810,

You posted (Hi Jerry, look at photo 3 -- I made the Bison Negative and changed the Depth and Height a little).

What do you mean you made the Bison Negative? I am not smarter than a 5th grader.

Ken

Kenm810
02-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Sorry Ken,

My mind must have been wondering, while I was typing --- duh http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

minus sign - Negative
Plus sign + positive

I have to remind myself We speak CW here
Normal
Additive
Subtractive