PDA

View Full Version : Large Signs

Mike Walker
02-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Has anyone attempted to do a double layer sign with a single line of text? I'm looking to make a 24" x 60" sign for an Insurance company. I need to figure out how to split the text horizontally down the middle and run the top and bottom separately. Any Ideas???

pkunk
02-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Not possible to split the text, but if it's 2 lines of text, just make 2 signs & joint and glue together. I did a 3ft x 5ft sign-3 lines of text that had 8" tall letters. They were maxed out for centerline.

Mike Walker
02-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.. Is this particular style of project on the wish list for future software releases????

twehr
02-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Has anyone attempted to do a double layer sign with a single line of text? I'm looking to make a 24" x 60" sign for an Insurance company. I need to figure out how to split the text horizontally down the middle and run the top and bottom separately. Any Ideas???

How about using 3 boards -

Top (5"?) with trim, details, etc.
Middle with lettering (up to 14" or so), and
Bottom (5"?), again with trim, etc.

Should make a rather nice presentation.

ChrisAlb
02-19-2008, 03:30 PM

Hi Mike,

How about this? Two separate files (Top & Bottom) each 12" wide by 60" long. Make the text box and attach the "center" of it to the bottom of the top board file. Copy it and paste it into the Bottom board file and attach the "center" of it to the top of the bottom board file. Sound confusing?...lol It was for me to write so take a look at these two MPC files.

Hope this helps...

Chris

ChrisAlb
02-19-2008, 03:32 PM
I like Tim's idea too!

John
02-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi Mike,

How about this? Two separate files (Top & Bottom) each 12" wide by 60" long. Make the text box and attach the "center" of it to the bottom of the top board file. Copy it and paste it into the Bottom board file and attach the "center" of it to the top of the bottom board file. Sound confusing?...lol It was for me to write so take a look at these two MPC files.

Hope this helps...

Chris

I think this is a great idea. I would keep the center point away from the edge slightly and then use a jointer to clean up the edges to create a "perfect" match. Even if a little hand work was necessary it would be a solution to something that's "not possible."

ChrisAlb
02-19-2008, 08:58 PM
An excellent suggestion John. I don't have a jointer but I do have a nice table saw so I start with that. It does a darn good job at making good mating rips. If I had a jointer, I would go your way for sure.

Jeff_Birt
02-19-2008, 09:16 PM
If you are joining thinner stock (1" or less) a router table with a split fence and a good straight cutting bit does a pretty good job at joining. I always run one board in face down and the other face up. That way if the router is not perfectly perpendicular the pieces will still mate with a flat top surface.

ChrisAlb
02-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Never tried it but the CW is supposed to able to joint as well, no? I've used a straight edge and router before with acceptable results as well.

Jeff_Birt
02-19-2008, 09:55 PM
I've had so-so results using the CW for jointing. If your out feed tables are a bit off the board will tweak a little sideways in the last inch or so and really screw things up.

ChrisAlb
02-19-2008, 09:58 PM
So at best, make the board a bit longer than needed and cut the ends off?

hotpop
02-20-2008, 12:30 AM
Chris

Got a job to do just like that. Finished sign to be 28 x 36". Carve time will be about 9.5 hrs. ea. half. Lots of material to be carved out. (hee-hee - Trying to get into the 10 hr. Plus Club). Material is 3/4" Signfoam.

I plan to start cutting in a couple of days. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm listening.

ChrisAlb
02-20-2008, 04:50 AM
Chris

Got a job to do just like that. Finished sign to be 28 x 36". Carve time will be about 9.5 hrs. ea. half. Lots of material to be carved out. (hee-hee - Trying to get into the 10 hr. Plus Club). Material is 3/4" Signfoam.

I plan to start cutting in a couple of days. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm listening.

Mel,

The only suggestion I have are the obvious... baby sit, baby sit, baby sit. I vacuumed out the machine about every 15 or 20 minutes. Kept checking the flex shaft for heat. Mine never got above warm but at about 7 hours into that 14.75 carve. I did lube the shaft just to be on the safe side. And OH, be very careful not to hit the stop button or power switch when starting up again. As I was getting weary, I found my hand headed for both several times...LOL

And as far as the 10 hour+ club? I just had my record shattered by the boys at CW. They just did a 36 HOUR CARVE!! They are testing a new "Best" setting. While it slowed things down a lot, Stephen told me when it was done it was almost perfect needing no sanding.

Chris

Gunner
02-20-2008, 06:53 AM
New '' Best '' setting? No sanding? When's the release date ?

Gunner

ChrisAlb
02-20-2008, 07:11 AM
New '' Best '' setting? No sanding? When's the release date ?

Gunner

Hi Gunner,

There is no release date. They were simply testing and I think because of the much increased carving time, it may be back to the drawing board.

NOTE TO ALL: I don't want to start any misleading thought's here. Stephen and I were merely conversing about "other" things privately and when he learned that my marathon carve on the Yankee Facade took 14.75 hours, he simply mentioned in passing about their 36 hour carve in testing a new "Best" mode.

THERE ARE NO PLANS AND I WAS IN NO WAY TOLD THERE WOULD BE FOR ADDING THIS TO ANY FUTURE SOFTWARE UPDATES SO PLEASE DO NOT TAKE WHAT I SAID OUT OF CONTEXT.

Thanks All,

Chris

Digitalwoodshop
02-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Hey, Chris is starting roomers again....... :)

Snicker Snicker...... Just kidding..... Me, I am still fighting with a Epson R1800 printer..... A $1200.00 job 90% complete and the Printer died.....

AL

ChrisAlb
02-20-2008, 06:59 PM
AW now....that HURTS AL! LOL

Bummer on the printer but knowing you, you have the "SPARE" parts so get your butt to work and fix it!! LOL

Digitalwoodshop
02-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Yes, I have 2 spare R1800 printers and when I put them in storage I had installed cleaning cartridges in the units and the heads were good. Put the Sublimation ink in the Printer and got a good printout but I am having a problem with the Sublimation Drivers..... I can print regular but not Sublimation. Fun Fun... Reloading drivers now.

A "Super Best" mode would be welcome....

AL

ChrisAlb
02-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Sure if you want to turn a 1 hour carve into a 12 hour carve...lol

Digitalwoodshop
02-20-2008, 07:55 PM
FINALLY got a replacement printer to work with the Sublimation Software..... Heat Press is heating up and the print out's are looking GOOD....

We return you to your regularly Scheduled Thread...... Hijack Over...

AL

ChrisAlb
02-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Hey Al,
I'm coming down to my old stomping grounds to check out your operation. I figure I can find you by the smell of INK in the air...LOL I don't want to hear that your shop is too messy either...lol

Mike Walker
03-19-2008, 10:20 PM
What software did you use to actually split the sign before importing it into the CW software?

Mike Walker
03-19-2008, 10:23 PM
The sign that I designed will be two runs of just over 15 hrs each.

The "DH"
03-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Hello Mike,
Here are dartboard cabinet doors that I did (still in the rough), but I split the image in half with pattern editor and it came out spot on! I’ll be doing a sign in the next couple of weeks where I’ll be splitting an image into 3 sections. The sign size will be 39 inches by 36 inches.

Mike Walker
03-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Would you be willing to share how you accomplished this in the CW Pattern Maker? My process starts with Corel Draw, then to AutoCad, then back to Corell Draw and so forth. A very tedious process.... Thank you in advance for any help....

ChrisAlb
03-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Would you be willing to share how you accomplished this in the CW Pattern Maker? My process starts with Corel Draw, then to AutoCad, then back to Corell Draw and so forth. A very tedious process.... Thank you in advance for any help....

Hi Mike,

This is an easy way to split text and graphics. Make two files, a bottom & top or left and right. Put the same text and graphic on each and attach the centers of the text and graphics box to the matching boards edge.

These two MPC file are an example of text split top and bottom to make a sign that's bigger than the 14.5 max. This sign would be 24" Tall (wide) and 60" long. This is intended to be glued together to make one sign but no reason they have to be glued. Put hinges on both and they're doors.

Quick, easy and all done in Designer. No editor or other graphics app needed.

Digitalwoodshop
03-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks Chris, Jeff, Hotpop and DH.

That will be very usefull...

Thanks,

AL

Chris, picked up my check for the 300 Fire tags.... Cool....