PDA

View Full Version : Stair Stepping REvisted?

kobeez
02-19-2008, 12:40 PM
I have recently upgrading firmware to 1.126.

On my last carve on Cherry of all woods, (Read: Expensive Fubar)
I had a case of stair stepping again. Has anyone else run into this after upgrading to 1.126? Did the bug fixed in 1.125 resurface?

oldjoe
02-19-2008, 01:43 PM
I don't think its a software issue I have had the same results and it is one of several problems. One is the wood may be just too smooth for the sand paper belts to get a good grip especially on hard woods, or you could have worn sandpaper belts. Are you staying under the rollers at all times this will cause slippage. Another thing is is there a flaw in the bottom edge of the board the will cause the traction wheel or encoder that is reading the length of the board to skip? And lastly have you checked to see if you have the proper roller compression?
Just some simple things to look for. Hope this helps.

Digitalwoodshop
02-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Stair stepping is a function of the board slipping from the brass roller. Head pressure too tight or too loose, sawdust packed on the pressure rollers causing speed bumps, board too smooth to grip the sand paper or the brass roller, board position too far away from the left guide, board loaded crooked and walks away from the left edge guide like car wheels turned away from the curb, dirty brass roller, O ring missing from brass roller, dull bit, sandpaper belts having too much sawdust on them and slipping. WOW a very long sentence but that is 90% of what will cause it....

Masking tape on the board at the brass roller track will go a long way to help. I use it on EVERY board now.

Good Luck,

AL

Heavy boards too will cause it....

The fix for my board problem was replacing the sand paper belts to give a better bit in the wood.