PDA

View Full Version : Drilling & Carving

DrBob
02-18-2008, 03:01 PM
to start I am using a 1.5 inch board in designer...I am drilling the hole and the drill will drill thru the whole board...what bit is this going to use since it is 1.5 inches deep? the other question is...I want to do a cutout...of the whole board depth at 1.5 I realize it won't do more than 1 inch...so how is the drill option able to do this? So as far as my cutout...I am using a carve region but it will only allow me to carve at .8 depth...why is this?

pkunk
02-18-2008, 04:35 PM
The machine will only carve, drill, etc to a maximum of 1". In reality, if you try for more than 3/4" you can damage something. There are ways around it but without seeing what you are trying to accomplish, I can't advise.

DrBob
02-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi pkunk
I changed the cutout but I don't understand why it will drill a hole 1.5 deep, when it will only cutout 1., if it uses the 1/8 straight bit to drill, how is it, it can go through a 1.5 board.
No work arounds just told it to drill .25 diameter hole?

TIMCOSBY
02-18-2008, 05:06 PM
moving sideways. take a real drill and try to go sideways after you drill in. the .8 depth was put in to keep us from operater error. you can flip the baord and cut from the back to get 1-1/2".

DrBob
02-18-2008, 05:32 PM
I am not being clear enough.
I am not trying to drill a cut out!
I am just drilling a hole...and the software will let me drill a hole 1.5 deep thru the board...yet...the software will not let me do a cutout more than 1 deep..they both use the same bit..for separate procedures...why is this???

pkunk
02-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Bob, you are right. I just set up 1 1 1/2" board and told the software to drill through. It is a glitch that got past the programmers. Don't try it.

Digitalwoodshop
02-18-2008, 06:51 PM
I am betting that the software drilling will finally fault out at the Install 1/8 inch cutting bit check at the machine. In the past versions of the program I got a Fatal Error as the bit checked board thickness.

I drill a hole for the clock in my bears in 1 inch thick stock but when I set up the hole in designer I select .8 depth and finish the drill job with a hand drill.

AL

TIMCOSBY
02-18-2008, 10:50 PM
I am not being clear enough.
I am not trying to drill a cut out!
I am just drilling a hole...and the software will let me drill a hole 1.5 deep thru the board...yet...the software will not let me do a cutout more than 1 deep..they both use the same bit..for separate procedures...why is this???

with drilling it is only using the tip to cut as it plunges through. while the cutting uses the full length of the side of the cutter and the flutes are only 1" any deeper and you are trying the cut the wood with the smooth shank...not gunna happen.

Digitalwoodshop
02-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Back to basics.... When the carve machine does a drilling function it goes to the center of the hole and drills down about 1/8 of an inch then it spirals out to the diameter you selected. Goes back to the center and down another 1/8 inch and spirals out again over and over until it gets to the depth you asked. Either through the board 1 inch max, or your selected depth when you call up the drill function in designer.

It would be cool if the designers would let you draw a star, square, diamond and tell it to drill that hole.... It would use the 1/8 inch bit to do a hole without using cut path with the tabs.

AL

DrBob
02-19-2008, 02:53 PM
This makes sense!

Back to basics.... When the carve machine does a drilling function it goes to the center of the hole and drills down about 1/8 of an inch then it spirals out to the diameter you selected. Goes back to the center and down another 1/8 inch and spirals out again over and over until it gets to the depth you asked. Either through the board 1 inch max, or your selected depth when you call up the drill function in designer.

This would make for alot of unnessasary carve time

It would be cool if the designers would let you draw a star, square, diamond and tell it to drill that hole.... It would use the 1/8 inch bit to do a hole without using cut path with the tabs.

AL