PDA

View Full Version : Pink Foam/ Casting

castingman
02-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Well, It worked ,we cast two this morning and doing one more now. The rough castings look better than i thought. The foam is not made for castings so it smells nasty when burning out. I will try to post pics tomorrow i don't have the conn. cord with me. Now im getting all kinds of ideas.
Michael

Router-Jim
02-18-2008, 02:01 PM
I am really looking forward to those pictures.

castingman
02-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Jim I took a shot at buffing one myself And it didn't turn out so well but repairable, If i can find the plug that hooks camera to my computer i should have pics tomorrow, I saw in the latest fine woodworking rag a guy made draw pulls out of brass in investment castings. I think i will try a rosetta door handle . Thanks for the interest I'm just having some fun ! My wife thinks i'm nuts , but she's tired of looking at alum stuff, seem's i have it everywhere
Thanks again, Michael

Router-Jim
02-18-2008, 09:11 PM
I am interested for several reasons. I have access to some copper chunks and I have a blacksmith right down the road who can melt them. Your idea with the foam and sand intrigues me. Copper signage would be something I would of never imagined, but it may be doable thanks to the CompuCarve and experimenters like you.

Jim :cool:

castingman
02-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Ok, How do i attach pics Michael

Gunner
02-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Michael,
Just a question.Have you tried using wax instead of the foam? As in a lost wax casting. Might be more expensive to start with but the wax can be re-used. And should give more detail.

Gunner

ChrisAlb
02-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Ok, How do i attach pics Michael

What Are Attachments?The administrator may allow you to use the attachment feature of this forum, which gives you the ability to attach files of certain types to your posts. This could be an image, a text document, a zip file etc. There will be a limit to the file size of any attachments you make.
To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Manage Attachments] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.
After posting, the image attachments may display a thumbnail, depending on the forum settings. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon.

Hi Michael,
The above is found in the FAQ (next to User CP) under Reading and Posting Messages (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_vb_read_and_post) What Are Attachments? (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_vb_attachment_exp lain). When your in the area where you actually type you message scroll down. Once you click on [Manage Attachments] you'll get a dialog box showing the MAX file size allowed for specific file types. For pictures, in most cases, you'll need to shrink the file size down to or less than the MAX size allowed.

Hope this helps.

Router-Jim
02-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Hi Michael,

Like Chris just stated. After your post dialog, scroll down to "Manage Attachments". Click that.

If your photos are on your computer use the first option and browse until you find them and upload.

If your photos are hosted somewhere else like Photobucket, then use the second option and copy and paste the URL there and upload.

HTH

Jim

castingman
02-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Lets try again

castingman
02-19-2008, 12:44 PM
It took me longer to post this than it took me to make it !

Router-Jim
02-19-2008, 01:43 PM

:lol:

That is really cool. Was there anything you had to do special with packing the sand into the foam recesses? What kind of "box" did you hold the sand and foam in?

So many questions.

www.go3d.us
02-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Awesome.
HT

ChrisAlb
02-19-2008, 04:12 PM

Well worth the effort though Michael. That's COOL!!

castingman
02-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks, I can now meld the two together, the forum would not let me post my last one lets try again

castingman
02-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Watch out now! I'll have all the patterns i have turned into alum. My wife going to have a $#*@ fit. Oh well just like i allways tell her , sorry about your luck!
Now that i can post pics i can show you guys the process.
The CW is great machine , And now the 1.126 has draft a new world has opened up I am getting all kinds of ideas. One thing about aluminum, it will never rot away { not for a long time anyway }.
Jim, don't try your copper yet, copper and brass penatrate inbetween the sand grains without proper mold coat. I work with a bronze foundry as well and will be metting them this week.
Again thanks for the interest, Michael

ChrisAlb
02-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Ah yes....another monster created...LOL Go get em Michael! :rolleyes:

TIMCOSBY
02-19-2008, 08:58 PM
tutorial about this while your wife has her ##*& fit. i have always wanted to try foundry work.

castingman
02-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Tim, The wifes calmed down some now, I will try to post what i can, as my skills at typing , spelling & coumpter are some what lacking i will do my best.
I do much better standing in front of you and talking.
I have one pattern carved in wood using raster that i will clean up this week. I used med draft to see how it draws out of the sand, { reusable pattern } I will carve some others in foam this weekend and try something different.
This forum is great, i have been reading this for the year i have had my CC. I have admired all the projects i have seen you guys do! I hope i can contribute something.
Thanks Michael