PDA

View Full Version : Flip and Carve?

RaccoonFace
02-18-2008, 02:08 AM
I searched, but perhaps my terms were not enough to generate positive results... Sorry if this is a rerun.

My dilemma:

I don't have one yet, but I've been following the tool since it was released and I am going to get one in about a week, so I can't test it myself. Yet.

My project (example):

As an example consider a board about 4' in length, 6" wide and 2" thick. Now, say you want to carve an arc from one end of the board to the other that will be 1 1/16" thick at the ends and about 1 1/2" in the middle.

I know I can't run the board through end to end. But, would it be possible to run the board to the middle, end the program, turn the board around and run the program again and trim the board from the other end to the middle completing the shape?

Really, the question would be:

Once the machine is clamped in will the feed mechanism compensate for about 1/2" in height difference? Or, will the feed mechanism lose traction and stop feeding the wood due to the difference in height?

Should this be in "Troubleshooting"?

Thanks all!

okbye

EDIT: Change thickness dimensions...

Gunner
02-18-2008, 08:17 AM
You should be able to do this by using ''carve region ''. Rember to make your board 7'' longer and 1'' wider. You will then have to cut off the excess wood.

Gunner

Jeff_Birt
02-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Now, say you want to carve an arc from one end of the board to the other that will be 1 1/16" thick at the ends and about 1 1/2" in the middle.

This sounds like you are talking about creating a dome on the surface of your work piece. You cannot do this without using a sled with side walls equal to the original height of your work piece. The users guide specifies that the work piece must be of uniform thickness.

HighTechOkie
02-18-2008, 08:43 AM
The machine can carve the entire 4ft length end to end without the need to turn the board around. You would need an extra inch of wood on each side that is not carved so the compression rollers for the head have something of constant height to ride along and keep the board tight in the machine. You could also make a sled with siderails and then secure your project board to the sled to carve.

Rob

RaccoonFace
02-18-2008, 02:38 PM
This sounds like you are talking about creating a dome on the surface of your work piece. You cannot do this without using a sled with side walls equal to the original height of your work piece. The users guide specifies that the work piece must be of uniform thickness.

Well, I guess the first things I'm going to be building are a few sleds. Thanks for the input!

okbye

TIMCOSBY
02-18-2008, 05:03 PM
flat. you can not start with an uneven board being lower in the middle. maybe not understanding your ?.