PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Bit selection wrong?

luckettg
02-17-2008, 10:56 PM
The software's drop down menu for selecting the bit to use has four selections, none of which is the spiral bit, and the 1/16 ball nose selection does not exist as a product from CarveWright. I tried selecting it, then intalled the sprial bit, but the machine keeps looking for the 1/16 ball nose bit, which does not exist in this set. I have every bit that CarveWright currently advertises and sells. I will call them in the morning, but wondered if someone might be on here tonight to explain how to make this work.
Thanks gang.:)

Jeff_Birt
02-17-2008, 11:07 PM
The standard carving bit is a 1/16" ball nose tapered bit. It is the one selected by default and there is no need to change it. If the machine keeps asking for the bit over and over it is likely that the bit is not hitting the bit plate properly. Watch the bit as it goes to the back of the machine after you install the bit. Does the bit touch down squarely on the little plate that flips out? (Hint: do a search for "bit plate".)

luckettg
02-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks, Jeff. I had thought that might have something to do with it. Initially there was a burr on that plate, which caused a similar problem installing the 1/4 ball nosed bit. I will tinker with it in the morning and see what I can find out. I appreciate your help, and thank you.
:D

mtylerfl
02-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Hello,

Just as a point of interest...

If you are doing "standard" projects that simply require normal carving and cut paths, as a general rule you should NOT assign any bits manually.

When you place a pattern on the board, the 1/16" carving bit is already and automatically assigned - no need to interfere with that.

If you make a Cut Path on an outline, the 1/8" cutting bit is is already and automatically assigned - no need to interfere with that either.

luckettg
02-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Michael T,
Ok, now I am confused again. What is a "standard project", and both my version of the software and the LCD asked for the bit to be assigned. Is this a change from yours, or am I doing something somehow different? My learning curve with this product is still nearly vertical, but it is starting to level out.....I think?:confused:
Greg Luckett

mtylerfl
02-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Michael T,
Ok, now I am confused again. What is a "standard project", and both my version of the software and the LCD asked for the bit to be assigned. Is this a change from yours, or am I doing something somehow different? My learning curve with this product is still nearly vertical, but it is starting to level out.....I think?:confused:
Greg Luckett

Hello Greg,

Sorry 'bout that. I call a "standard project" one that uses only the two bits that come with the machine...the cutting bit and the carving bit.

Your software will not ask you to assign any bit on a so-called "standard project". That is something you would have to purposely go out of your way to do yourself. A pattern uses the carving bit automatically - you do not assign it. A cut path automatically uses the cutting bit - you do not assign that either.

Now, of course your machine will ask you for bits - it always will in order for it to go through it's homing procedures prior to starting the actual carve/cutting. On a "standard project" it will ask you for the 1/8" cutting bit first (if you have any cut paths on your project)...then it will ask you for the 1/16" carving bit...then the machine will proceed to start carving. At the end of carving process, you will be asked to insert the cutting bit if you have any cut paths on the project and it will proceed until finished.

Please read the Dec '07 issue of the Tips & Tricks Newsletter.
http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Dec07.pdf
It has the basic setup tips that will help you. In particular, it addresses the issue of "assigning bits". (Actually, you might want to read all the Tips & Tricks issues http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html - tons of valuable info there that I think you will enjoy).

Please let us know if you have any further questions. It is our pleasure to assist you!