PDA

View Full Version : The light goes on (albeit very slowly at times)!

mostlycold
02-17-2008, 05:52 PM
A while back I inquired about using my commercial downdraft table (Delta Sand Trap I use for power sanding bowls) as an alternative to the dust control systems I have seen on this forum. I believe Jeff wrote back and warned me of the dangers of sucking dust through the entire bottom section of the CC and advised against doing that (thanx Jeff). So while I'm trying to get pictures and instructions from folks on how to build one of these units, I happen to be out in the shop looking for some 2x4,s to assemble the basic frame, and the light slowly goes on! What if I just cut a 2x17" slot in a piece of hardboard, glue a strip of foam weatherseal around it, and lay it on top of the downdraft table? Guess I should be grateful the light works at all at my age........

Will let you know how this works (if I can remember),
Dan

Dan-Woodman
02-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Take a look at the bottom of your machine , you only need the slot and foam strip around the slot 2-3" wide and as long or 3/4 to 1/2 the length of the machine on the side opposite the keypad. Your piece of wood will always be up agaianst the fence on the keypad side.
I have a slot the entire length of the machine and it does suck dust from the keypad side as well.
later Daniel

sweliver
02-17-2008, 06:20 PM
I took the bottom off mine so I could trace the slot. Then cut the slot narrower and shorter...circled it with foam and set the maching on top. The weight of the machine compressed the rim of the slot into the foam for a tight fit. With a full-width board or sled the dd will be virtually useless. But it works good.

sw