PDA

View Full Version : self contained down draft system

Ron
02-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Well I wasnt going to build a down draft system ,didnt think it would make that much of a difference wow,was I wrong!!Havent finished the door or drawer fronts yet but, have used it its unbelievable the difference it makes.Looked at a lot of these on the forum from you guys had a lots of ideas.Got tired of always setting up the stands for longer pieces,so I built them in plus I can move the cart while carving if I have to(and I have) the shop is 24 by 24 a little small for all the tools, so this was my way of saving room.The blower I got from my daughter for fathers day its a craftsman 3/4 horse dust collector work well.

ChrisAlb
02-17-2008, 08:48 AM
That's a GREAT idea Ron. I have even less space to work in and as of yet, have no dust collection system beyond my shop vac. I'll have to think seriously about this one. Thanks for the idea!!

Chris

castingman
02-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Ron, That unit works well as long as you keep the bag clean. I don't have my CW hooked up to it yet as it is in the garage. The Hang up kind from woodcraft work great.
Michael

oldjoe
02-17-2008, 09:55 AM
I might just have to copy that DC system. good idea but your shop looks way to clean and organized.

newcarver
02-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Had any issues with static at all?If so how have you delt with it? Just posted a thread about static and am always looking for ideas and pointers, got mine set up good now although i have not tried since grounding it properly

sweliver
02-17-2008, 10:31 AM
I just got my machine. The worktop it resides on is a "Tool Dock" bench
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/wk_planning/article/0,2037,DIY_14427_2275266,00.html Mine is the same unit shown in the upper right photo.

It works great with just a shop vac. Very little dust makes it out of the machine. I cut a slot slightly smaller in the table top slightly smaller than the slot in the machine. A couple of layers of adhesive weather strip foam forms a snug seal.

So far with only a couple of projects, it works great.

As far as static....being a metal cabinet with metal feet on concrete...I'm hoping static from the vacuum goes down and not up.

Steve