PDA

View Full Version : About to buy. Which accessories?

crowbait
02-17-2008, 02:24 AM
I'm about to buy it. I'll be starting out doing appliques, and signage.
I'll be buying it at Sears, with the 5yr. maint. agreement.

I'll also be buying the probe.

I see they have 1/16 and 1/8 inch carbide bits....do I need both?
Do I need any of those QuickRoute adaptors?
Then I'm seeing a bunch of Freud bits. Are those needed?

Thanks gang.

badger
02-17-2008, 04:25 AM

Thanks gang.

Most of the forum members here can answer just about anything on the machine, I have just one suggestion which is if you plan on doing this as a business or hobby with a little side scratch you might want to do a little more research on wood working to find out exactly what you need. I think I can answer for most on here that alot of questions about starting a business are becoming routine.

One might ask themselves just how far do you think someone will go to give you answers that they worked hard for to make a business for themselves?

One should visit craftshows and talk to some of the people there and realize its more than just buying a machine couple bits and throw in a few patterns to start making money. I stated ealier in another post most places that do have a carvewright for business dont rely just on it. They also have a number of other expensive tools to complete their shop.

I truly believe that this is a great forum for problems on the machine, showcasing work done, and sharing tips. If you want to start a business though that takes alot of hard work that cant be truly answered in just a couple post and I would hate to see some people put out the money for this machine and get discouraged that they are not making the money they thought they would and then downplay the machine to others.

Either way good luck in your endeavours

badger
02-17-2008, 04:30 AM

Thanks gang.

As far as the 1/16 and 1/8 bit both come with the original package. Some might tell ya its a good idea to get extras (which is a good idea) in case one breaks on ya. I personnal by pass the the additional drill bits. I use a router table to finish up the work after the carve, its quicker and doesnt put all that carve time on your counter.

If you plan on getting the centerline text purchase (which is great for adding text to your carve) then you will also need either or both the 60 and 90 degree bits.

ChrisAlb
02-17-2008, 04:52 AM
I agree with Badger completely on this. Starting a business is a long never ending battle of not giving up. If you don't already have a business in the wood related field or something similar it's going to be a pretty bumpy road getting there. If you do have a business already going it may smooth "some" of the bumps but it's still going to take a lot of leg work.

I've been a self employed custom home builder for 30 years now. I have a pretty nice customer base established around "that" aspect of carpentry but I'm finding it tough to find those within that base who are interested enough in this to actually pay for something. Now disabled I have little choice but to try and make it work.

Also remember that the CW is designed for hobby use. I've been luckier than most it would seem as my machine runs long days all week with few problems but I baby it the whole way. Just finished a 14 hour carve and now it's down as I wait for a new board sensor.

That being said, if you're determined to go for it I have a two suggestions for you. 1) For signs I recommend you get both the 60 and 90 degree V bits AND the Centerline text. 2) From what I've been reading in here and my own experience with Sears, Don't waist your money on their Extended service plan. But see this thread and determine that one for yourself.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?p=44153#post44153

I'm not trying to burst your bubble on the business aspect at all. The simple truth is nothing is impossible if you have the will and determination to make it happen. I just agree with Badger that if you do and find it's not working out so "easily", don't be too surprised or discouraged about it.

Wish you the best of luck!!