PDA

View Full Version : Hints on how much to charge???

yellowdog
02-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Can anyone out there give me some advise on what is a fair price to charge for carving some trim work? I was asked by a person in my local wood store to carve 15 pieces 79" by 3" wide. They will supply the material and insist on paying me for my time since they are with a cabinet shop. Does anyone have any suggestions?

www.go3d.us
02-17-2008, 12:08 AM
You can charge them by the hour. How much do you think your hour of work is worth? If charging to much they might run away. You can set up a sample piece in CW designer and the software will give you the estimate time required to finish the piece.

Hope this help.
HT

HighTechOkie
02-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Are you going to sand and clean up the work before handing it off or are they? For that much carving, you are looking at close to 65hrs of machine time alone (in best mode, maybe 45hrs in Normal). I'd recommend $8-10 per linear foot min. for carving and $1-2 sanding.

Small custom runs of molding get very expensive quickly. I recall hearing prices of $150+ just to have molding knives made, then $2+ per foot to produce. This assumes its a simply profile. Once you get into the ornamental stuff that requires a cnc machine to produce, prices go WAY UP.

Rob

yellowdog
02-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Thank you for your your input. I was thinking like you, I don't want to be too high yet I don't want to give away my time either. Thanks for your inputs!
:D