PDA

View Full Version : Small Box Gluing Jig

02-16-2008, 07:17 PM
I am making a box like the jewelry box shown in the results page. I am having trouble gluing the sides together. A while back I saw on the web some ads for a jig to do this job, however, I can no longer find the web sight. Can anyone lead me to a source for these kind of jigs? Thank you for any help you can give.

Ron
02-16-2008, 07:40 PM
menards or a hardware store would carry jigs for corners .I have 2 of them they can be bought pretty cheap for the box ur making.(small)Hope this help.Do you have a brad nailer that would work nice also

Kenm810
02-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Are these something like the ones your looking for.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11224

hartwoods
02-16-2008, 07:44 PM
For small boxes tape the joints together then slip large rubber bands aroud the box.It has always worked for me. It holds the joints tight while they are drying.You can get the larger bands at office supply stores.
Best Don
www.touchingheartsagain.com

DocWheeler
02-16-2008, 08:06 PM

The best and easiest way to clamp the four sides of a mitered box is with strong rubber-bands, clamps all four sides at once. Not a big deal either, and this makes it easy to adjust.

Put a bead of glue on the box-bottom, then with your finger, carefully spread a thin coating of glue evenly on all mating (mitered) surfaces, set the pieces on the base in their proper location, apply the rubber bands both high and low, and place something on top that you can clamp it eavenly to the bottom piece. I cut a piece of plywood slightly bigger than the box to use as the clamp-piece on top, used two clamps.

Start with the box-base positioned near the corner of your work-surface where you can get a clamp under the edge so you can position the rubber bands as described below.

Try not to use too much glue, if you do it is often better to clean it up after it has set.

Putting the rubber bands on all four pieces is easy if you first lay the rubber bands so they drape over one end and the two sides (and across the top). put a narrow board across that end of the box without touching the bands and then clamp that board down to hold the two sides and the one end securely. Then position the bands and release the clamp. Then place the board on top (careful not to have glue on the top) and clamp to the bottom.

CustomWestCoast
02-16-2008, 09:59 PM
I normally use band clamps from Sears. They are inexpensive and adjustable from small to large boxes. I think they are normally priced at $19.99

Sears Band Clamps
www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00931539000P?keyword=00931539000&sLevel=0

02-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks to all of you. These suggestions were exactally what I was looking for now I can get my boxes done.

HighTechOkie
02-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Here is another clamp option Pinnacle Miter Clamp Set (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20115) from Woodcraft.

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/family/web20115.jpg

It would be simple to draw up and have the CW make a set. :) I like the fact that this draws the corner together and provides even pressure. Never used them, but think I will make a set.

Rob

Gunner
02-18-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure if anyone else uses them anymore. But, I still use dowels for joining. It gives the joint strength and allows some movement of the wood after the project is completed.
Some people use biscuits for joining but, they may be too large for your project.
The gluing jigs are still helpfull to square the project. I have found several that I use and some that my father built back in the 60's.
Also there is a new joining system built by Festool that is pricy but looks interesting. www.festoolusa.com

Gunner