PDA

View Full Version : Finding the bit tip

bensmink
02-15-2008, 01:59 PM
I would like to re-word my earlier post...When the machine is "finding the tip of the bit" (at the right side of the machine), the tip does not go to the surface of the little plate. Instead, it goes down the left side of the little plate. It appears that the truck is going to far to right or something and not allowing the little plate (the one that flips out while finding the bit tip) to flip out far enough.....Please, any response will be appreciated.

Digitalwoodshop
02-15-2008, 02:41 PM
There are about 100 posts about it not coming out far enough to let the bit touch it.

Here are a few quick tips to get you going today. More detail will be found by reading the forum.

With the power off.

Manually move the Y axis to the right as far as it can go. The Y should contact the Bit plate and move it out.

If not here are some things to look at. The full list is about 20 things that will cause this.

With the head all the way to the right look in the back of the head right side where the Z cooling fins are. Sometimes the cable from the Cut Motor plastic Lid switch is out of place and the cooling fins hit the cable preventing the head from getting to the bit flag. There is a sweet spot back in the corner for the cable out of the way. Look for that.

Sawdust build up in and around the bit plate. Blowing it out and a light lubrication would be good. Too much lubrication will attract sawdust.

Or you can do what I did after fighting with it way too many times.... I cut a small piece of foam and extended the bit plate and masking taped it so the bit plate is ALWAYS extended. I did this with both machines.

Good Luck,

AL

bensmink
02-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks, Al. I will check all the past forum posts about this issue. My truck does stick the plate and move it out but just far enough. Thanks again...Bob

pkunk
02-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks, Al. I will check all the past forum posts about this issue. My truck does stick the plate and move it out but just far enough. Thanks again...Bob
Bob, I moved this post here where it belongs. In the future, instead of starting a new thread, use 'post reply' in the upper left.

luckettg
02-18-2008, 06:18 PM
There are about 100 posts about it not coming out far enough to let the bit touch it.

Here are a few quick tips to get you going today. More detail will be found by reading the forum.

With the power off.

Manually move the Y axis to the right as far as it can go. The Y should contact the Bit plate and move it out.

If not here are some things to look at. The full list is about 20 things that will cause this.

With the head all the way to the right look in the back of the head right side where the Z cooling fins are. Sometimes the cable from the Cut Motor plastic Lid switch is out of place and the cooling fins hit the cable preventing the head from getting to the bit flag. There is a sweet spot back in the corner for the cable out of the way. Look for that.

Sawdust build up in and around the bit plate. Blowing it out and a light lubrication would be good. Too much lubrication will attract sawdust.

Or you can do what I did after fighting with it way too many times.... I cut a small piece of foam and extended the bit plate and masking taped it so the bit plate is ALWAYS extended. I did this with both machines.

Good Luck,

AL
Wow, this is exactly the problem I am having and will check what you suggested here. I would love it if you could also point me to the other 19 or 20 things that cause this problem. Is there an indexed troubleshooting section for the common problems with this machine, or maybe something like that?
Thanks again....I will also keep hunting for answers here in this forum. CarveWright's customer service has not been much help to me to date, but the forums have been. I appreciate all the knowledge and sharing here.:)

Jeff_Birt
02-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Why not try the 'SEARCH' feature of the forum?

pkunk
02-18-2008, 06:27 PM
In the trouble shooting forum there is a TS sticky with PDF's :)

luckettg
02-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Why not try the 'SEARCH' feature of the forum?

Answer: I have been using it extensively, but for the specific 19 or 20 it would be nice to not need to search through hundreds of postings.
Greg Luckett

luckettg
02-19-2008, 03:33 PM
In the trouble shooting forum there is a TS sticky with PDF's :)

Thanks for the tip. I will certainly check it out.:)
Greg Luckett

luckettg
02-19-2008, 03:44 PM
The problem turned out to be the cable guard for the two wires running up to the lid switch, as AL suggested. After tinkering with it for while I drilled two holes in the cover at the corner, then wire tied those wires up out of the way in that "sweet" spot. I also told Henry from Customer Service how to fix this problem (I am not convinced he understood :o). This also allows the bit plate to function as it was intended, rather than stick out all the time.

This machine is obviously still being developed and could use some better designing. Mine was purchased Dec. 2007 (I just turned it on two days ago), and I would bet it is full of refinements from earlier problems, as is the software. I feel like a Beta tester, but am not too disappointed. Someday, it will be a fully developed product and as common as lathes in home shops. I am enjoying the machine, learning from this forum, and I like to tinker anyway. Look how long it took to get a PC that works well.......okay I am still waiting for that one.:p

You folks and this forum are OKAY!:D
Greg Luckett