PDA

View Full Version : static

newcarver
02-15-2008, 11:56 AM
I have read as many threads as i can handle and have a couple simple questions. I have my machine hooked to a small dust collector i picked up at harbor frieght, i seem to get alot of static now, is this just from the dust collector? Will it subside if i connect the 2 via a ground wire(machine and dust collector). I have it in the garage in the summer and had the dust collector hooked to it then and didnt seem to have much of an issue with the dust, now it is in the basement and after a carving it(internally) is covered with a layer of dust from the static.
any ideas...

pkunk
02-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Grounding the CW to the DC & also to electrical ground will help. It is dryer in your basement in the winter than the garage in summer, hence more static.

Kenm810
02-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Because of the drop of indoor Humidly in the winter months, static always becomes a problem.
Unless you turn up your furnace humidifier this time of year,
you will notice and feel the static charges when turning on or off a light switch,
walking across a carpet, or even just putting on a sweater.
So a ground wire to your carver and shop vac is almost a must,
to prevent possible damage to your Machine.

Pkunk, I must just type to slow

newcarver
02-15-2008, 12:25 PM
so i can just take a wire and connect it to the dust collector then to the machine? Will this accomplish what i want? My cc does not have the gound plug either, so willconnecting the 2 items complete the ground?

Jeff_Birt
02-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Both grounds should run back to the same place (ideally). If you have your machine plugged into a wall outlet, check that the outlet is grounded and ground it there.

newcarver
02-15-2008, 12:36 PM
hope this doesnt seam like a stupid question, but how do i do that, actually run the wire inside to where the ground wire connects to the outlet???

Jeff_Birt
02-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Nope, not a stupid question. Crimp a spade lug onto the end of your ground wire and slip it under the center screw that hold the cover plate on. Kind of like the old 3-prong to 2-prong adapters used to do. Or, you could get a 3-prong plug and hook your ground lead to the plugs ground, so you would wind up with two plugs for your machine.

It might also be a good idea to put a 100K or so resistor inline with your ground wire. It will not affect its ability to bleed of a static charge but it will prevent it from carrying any appreciable amount of current.

Kenm810
02-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Just in case anyone might not familiar with the terms used

100k Resistor and Flanged Spade lug
SonOfSofaman.com - Resistor Color Codes (http://www.sonofsofaman.com/hobbies/electronics/reference/resistorcolorcodes.asp)

By the way both are available at Radio shack

newcarver
02-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Is the resistor needed? I mean is it a must..

Kenm810
02-15-2008, 01:57 PM
As Jeff mentioned it's a good Idea
I know I use them,
but it's not mandatory

fwharris
02-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Jeff,
When I ran my gound wire, I connected to my ground to the copper grnd wire that goes into my power box. I did not do it in the box but connected to wire on the outside of the garage where it comes off of the grnd steak and then ran the grnd line to my bench where I connect to my DC and CW. Is this the same as what you just said???

Nope, not a stupid question. Crimp a spade lug onto the end of your ground wire and slip it under the center screw that hold the cover plate on. Kind of like the old 3-prong to 2-prong adapters used to do. Or, you could get a 3-prong plug and hook your ground lead to the plugs ground, so you would wind up with two plugs for your machine.

It might also be a good idea to put a 100K or so resistor inline with your ground wire. It will not affect its ability to bleed of a static charge but it will prevent it from carrying any appreciable amount of current.

hotpop
02-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Rockler has a very good booklet for sale for Setting UP Shop Dust Control Systems.

If you are running plastic pipe between your equipment and your Vacuum then you should have a bear ground wire inside the pipe as well as a bear wire sprial wraped around the outside of the pipe. You can make a tiny hole at the joints and connect the wires together with wire nut. Your Harbor Freight vacuum has a three prong plug. The electrical ground is connected to the motor frame which is bolted to the vacuum/motor platform. Therefore the ground wire can be terminated under any screw attached to the DC frame. Be sure to trap it against a star washer the will penetrate any paint.

Jeff: I haven't hear of adding 100k resister to a ground system before, but it makes sense. What wattage resister do you recommend?

Jeff_Birt
02-15-2008, 08:52 PM
I did not do it in the box but connected to wire on the outside of the garage where it comes off of the grnd steak and then ran the grnd line to my bench where I connect to my DC and CW. Is this the same as what you just said???

Yes, straight out to your ground rod is the best way. The OP had his machine is his basement and it may have been rather tough for him to string a ground wire outside so I was just suggesting an alternative method.

Jeff: I haven't hear of adding 100k resister to a ground system before, but it makes sense. What wattage resister do you recommend?

The static guard wrist straps and mats have a resistor in line with their strap, it just prevents any appreciable amount of current from flowing; it's a safety device. Static electricity is high voltage, low current so the resistor has no effect to its discharge.

A 1/4 watt resistor would be fine but you may find that a 1/2" is a bit easier to work with as it is a bit bigger. My personal preference is to solder some wire on each end of the resistor and cover it with heat shrink tubing. This will help prevent it from being damaged.

Old Salt
02-15-2008, 09:59 PM
If you in a basment a good ground can be a copper water pipe . They should be grounded to your panel. Check to see if their is a jumper wire around you meter and a ground wire clamped to the piping.