PDA

View Full Version : LED went out 1/2 way through carve

mostlycold
02-15-2008, 10:29 AM
After the carve, turned the machine off/on, and it came right back up - anyone else had that happen? I had some difficulty "guessing" what bits it wanted each time it stopped. This was my first carve and it came out pretty bad, probably because it was in default draft mode and I set the depth of the carve region to .005. Tried making a clock face plate with a 3 inch diameter hole for the clock insert, cut to size, and routed edges. The machine did everything it was suppose to, but the end product wasn't very good (lots of fuzzies) in hard maple.

Also, (software question here) how do you raise a carving on a piece of wood? That would be that the carving would stand higher than the rest of the entire wood face (as opposed to the carving being cut into the field of wood)?

Thanx,
Dan

forqnc
02-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Also, (software question here) how do you raise a carving on a piece of wood? That would be that the carving would stand higher than the rest of the entire wood face (as opposed to the carving being cut into the field of wood)?

Thanx,
Dan

Not sure on the LED problem, but to have the carving protrude from the surrounding wood, you would need to apply a carving region around it, then Merge Additive the pattern and the carve region.

rogone
02-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Not sure on the LED problem, but to have the carving protrude from the surrounding wood, you would need to apply a carving region around it, then Merge Additive the pattern and the carve region.

I had wondered about this also so I just tried what you said and was able to get some text to stand out from the surface of the wood. However, I did not do the Merge Additive and it seemed to work fine. What additional do you get by useing the Merge Additive feature?

rjustice
02-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Mostlycold,
Were you sucking out the dust with a shop vac at the time you noticed it go out?... I had this happen once and actually saw the static discharge when it happened. This was when i first got my machine, and before making a downdraft table for it. My machine did the same thing. After turning it off and back on the display was fine.
Caution, there has been many that have not been so lucky, and have fried the machine to the point of not working at all from static discharge... so i highly recommend reading up on "Static" issues with the machine. There are many threads on how to ground things properly...

hope this helps...

Ron

mostlycold
02-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Ron,

Thanx a million - that is exactly what I did and the LED went out right after I pulled the vacuum wand out of it.

Dan

PS I haven't noticed if anyone has posted a set of plans for a downdraft table?

rjustice
02-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Mostlycold...
There are many posts on downdraft tables. I built mine based on pictures that Kenm810 posted. If you read his posts, he explains how to get used furnace fans for free (or some coffee i think) lol.... that was the direction I went, and really like mine. It makes alllllll the difference in keeping the machine clean, and running in top condition. Plenty of suction, and hardly any work to clean up after carving....

glad i could help...

Ron