PDA

View Full Version : One of my first projects

oclatta
02-14-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm in commercial construction. We finished this building in late 2007. I took a photo, photoshopped it to get rid of utility poles, handicapped signs, roof vents, etc. I then loaded it into Project Designer, tweeked it a little and added the lettering. Lots of fun watching the CW carve and do the lettering. I may give it to the architect or the owner if they want it.

hotpop
02-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Beautiful job!

rjustice
02-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Nice Idea.... I bet there would be many businesses that would purchase something like this for their waiting areas...

Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing!

Ron

dougmsbbs
02-14-2008, 10:08 PM
That turned out real well. Nice job!

CustomWestCoast
02-17-2008, 02:54 AM
This question may have been answered in previous posts but hell if I can find it. I am begining to carve portraits in red oak. The carvings come out great but I am having trouble getting the right stain finish.
I would like the get the recesses in the carving dark just like the depicted in the photo posted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
P.S.
I am new to woodworking and staining so go easy on the description and/or procedure.

oclatta
02-18-2008, 11:20 AM
I answered your private e-mail. If you didn't get it or need more info, please get in contact with me.

Durtdawber
02-18-2008, 12:16 PM
How about sharing your answer on the staining. I think you did an outstanding job and would like to know the process.

Ken Massingale
02-18-2008, 01:03 PM
How about sharing your answer on the staining. I think you did an outstanding job and would like to know the process.
I agree, I'd appreciate knowing also.
ken

oclatta
02-19-2008, 07:43 AM
I used a sanding sealer then sanded to get rid of the fuzzies. I used a brush on stain on the entire piece and let it puddle and dry in the low areas of the picture, brushing and wiping it off of the high areas and the flat area of the board. I then applied a coat or two of a polyurethane varnish to seal the wood so that the stain in the letters didn't leach out into areas that I didn't want it to. I then used a gel stain on the lettering, actually letting the stain almost fill the recess. Wiped it off of the flat area of the board. Let everything dry for a day or two then another coat of varnish.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Olcatta, That is an awesome project! I too am intrigued with the stain job. looks like you have experience in that area. I was trying to interpret your answer. So are you saying that first you stain the whole board, then you put a coat of poly actually in the letters over top of the first coat of stain then put the stain into the letters let it dry then poly over the satin in the letters again? Interestring process. My staining has come out pretty good but im really likeing the dark crisp lettering. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

oclatta
02-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks to Centerline for the crisp lettering.

I have had stain follow the grain out of the letter area so I seal it with varnish, then use the gel stain. Seems to work.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Your right olcatta i had the same problem, stain following the grain out of the pattern. Thanks for the information, i will try that here soon. keep up the good work, look forward to seeing sme more projects soon.