PDA

View Full Version : edge rout

Dragon
02-14-2008, 01:45 PM
I searched the topic but haven't quite found an answer. i have a 12" x 12" project already to go with the edge rout set to do all 4 sides. From the search I have learned about adequate spacing from the body of the carving to the edge & that i should make sure there is enough length to stay under the rollers & also that the actual carving will be my project size, not the physical size of the board.

My question is, what is the preferred method for removing the 'roller tabs' when carving is complete. I am assuming that they won't be cut off by the edge rout.

My options are hand held jig saw, hand held circular saw, and a power miter saw. I'm thinking the miter saw would be my cleanest cut for a straight line, my only issue is that it has a 10 inch blade so I'll have to hit it twice from different sides.

btw... I'm saving for a Dewalt sliding miter.

Thanks for any input.

Rob

DocWheeler
02-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Rob,

On a project that size, why don't you just have the CC do the cutout?
A tablesaw or radial-arm saw would be the quickest of course.

The "DH"
02-14-2008, 02:39 PM
I agree with doc, let the cw do the cut, if not than I would do a double cut with the miter given your tool selection, beleive me I've done many double cuts until my sliding miter and radial arm saw arrived in the shop.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-14-2008, 05:46 PM
I did an edge rout today my first one. I used a 60 degree and in my opinion its going to be more precise to stay under the rollers. It did a great job I was really inpressed. I just set it to a depth of .375 on a .75 board and then cut it out myself with a radial arm saw. I just ordered some bits for my shaper to do just this job and save on run time on the CW.

Dragon
02-14-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm going with the miter double cut. I don't trust myself just yet to setup the cut path without trashing the edge rout.

This is the puppy I'm saving my spare lunch money for:
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=9793

I've got about 8 different thing in my head that i can use this for.

[disclaimer... i am in no way affiliated with Dewalt]

Thanks for the help guys!

Rob

I'll post pictures when I'm done.