PDA

View Full Version : Whacky Tool Bars

ChrisAlb
02-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Don't know if anyone has played around with repositioning the tool bars but I'm going to suggest you DON'T.

About a week ago I moved all mine to the side to get as big a screen shot in hight as I could. I put them all back and now every time I open Designer they're scattered all over the place. I've tried everything to keep them in one place including going to "customize tool bars" and resetting all of them but to no avail. Now I have to manually put them back each time I open Designer.

Jeff_Birt
02-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Chris, they should not so that! I see your using 1.126, did you see this same behavior with 1.125? I don't think anything changed between the two versions that would have caused that problem though. What OS are you using? Are you running Designer from an account with administrative rights? Most of the time programs save these settings in the registry and the type of account you are logged in as can affect exactly where things get saved.

ChrisAlb
02-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Chris, they should not so that! I see your using 1.126, did you see this same behavior with 1.125? I don't think anything changed between the two versions that would have caused that problem though. What OS are you using? Are you running Designer from an account with administrative rights? Most of the time programs save these settings in the registry and the type of account you are logged in as can affect exactly where things get saved.

Hi Jeff, I never did this in 1.125 so I don't know if it would do this in that version or any others. I'm running XP Pro as the Admin. What version are you running and have you ever tried moving them around? I'd say go ahead and test it but I'd hate to see you with the same problem.

I did however, as a test for my system, open several other programs and they all come back just the way I set them. I don't think the problem is in the registry unless Designer just isn't updating to it properly. When I have some time I plan to dig into the registry and find Designers settings and take a look.

The one thing (just thought of) I haven't tried is...setting them up, close designer and then restart the system. I know sometimes Windows itself doesn't actually write "some" things to the registry until savings settings on exit.