PDA

View Full Version : Think I solved all my problems. Head Repair?

hetzerguitars
02-13-2008, 11:17 PM
So after complaining for 2 weeks about how crappy this thing is, and calling tech support, etc... I finally broke down and took PKUNK's advice and tried to solve my own problems. I took off the cover and began using my mechanical knowledge to examine what I think is the reason for all my problems. The head itself. And that's where I found my problem.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z3/jimhetzer/1.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z3/jimhetzer/2.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z3/jimhetzer/3.jpg

The head appears to have come loose. And I think I am missing a screw. Although, if I am I have no idea how to put it back. The head itself completely
moves from the back aluminum plate. The screw on the right (facing the back of the machine) is loose, and there is not one in the left side. But from the grease it looks like one was there. Can someone verify?

Also, can you verify if it is the same length and thread as the other?
I need to replace it. I have dug thru all my dust and found nothing.

Is there an alignment that I need to do on this or at this point do I need to have someone actually install it? Is it something I can do?

Is there supposed to be any play between the back plate and the head? Or do I tighten it hand tight?

- jim

www.go3d.us
02-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Yes, there is a screw there and it is the same screw as the one on the other side. Since the head moving along the rail, check to see if it dropped some where down there. To put the screw back you need to remove the aluminum heat sink first.
Good luck.
HT

Reset
02-14-2008, 07:40 AM
I had this very same problem with my machine many months ago. Same loose screw, same MISSING screw.

There is no need to remove the heat sink though. At first I though I'd have to also, but you can position the screw, and there is a slot in the heat sink for a screwdriver to go through to tighten the screw.

I believe the screw didn't just fall out, it was either not put in at the factory, or, it was not put back in when my machine was returned to Texas last year. It wasn't until I noticed the remaining screw was loose (which I only noticed when I found the entire plate was loose) that I noticed the second screw was missing altogether.

Since this now makes two instances of the same problem... everybody should check to see if you have a loose screw (and missing screw) :)

Tommy

Jeff_Birt
02-14-2008, 08:26 AM
everybody should check to see if you have a loose screw

I've been accused of having a screw loose, does that count? ;)

Jim, it sounds like you have tracked down the root cause of your problems. The parts list shows the two screws are the same, (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/parts_list_manual.pdf), and they are M5 x 18mm. As Tommy said you can slip a screwdriver through the heat sink to install a new screw. There is a tensioning screw on top of the Z-motor, back it off a bit before installing you new screw. Loosely snug both screws (a bit of loc-tite might not be a bad idea), and then adjust the tensioner screw to tension the Z-truck belt. The belt does not need to be really tight, it should have a few mm of deflection. Too tight is as bad as too loose. After adjusting the tension, tighten the two mounting screws and double check the tension.

hotpop
02-14-2008, 08:46 AM
My wife has been telling me for years I had a loose screw.

Thanks Jim for sharing that. It one of those things you don't think about until its to late.

Reset
02-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Quote:
everybody should check to see if you have a loose screw
I've been accused of having a screw loose, does that count? ;)

...I'm going to stay away from this... a saying about "glass houses" comes to mind :D

Perhaps it would be a good idea for us to compile a list of loose screws we've each found, as well as missing screws, so we know what to look for before we find out "the hard way". Missing screws it would seem would be even more important, as you can't tighten something that isn't there, and you didn't know it should have been :)

Tommy

mtylerfl
02-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Hello Jim,

That's pretty amazing - after seeing your photo (and reading Tommy's similar experience) I checked both my machines and guess what - I had the same screw missing from the exact location on one of my machines!

I had not been having any problem with either machine, so I had no clue anything was "missing". Plus I thought I was doing a pretty good job of looking over my machines after every use, but I had not noticed the missing screw.

After looking under the machine, in the slots, on the floor under the stand, etc., I finally checked my box for that particular machine and the screw was in it!

Took the cover off the machine, put the screw in (angled it to get it into position) and tightened her up.

Thank you for the heads up on that!

DocWheeler
02-14-2008, 10:35 AM
When I got my machine back from Texas this last time I had exactly that problem, and the screw was in the box.
That step of assembly seems to get overlooked too often!

TIMCOSBY
02-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Qaulity Control.

newcarver
02-14-2008, 04:27 PM
I guess LHR should be using locktight more often. I have replaced 3 z motors and used locktight everytime. Part of my quality control, LHR should be taking notes...

hetzerguitars
02-18-2008, 02:57 PM
So I talked to them today. Got new Quick Change on the way something late this week or early next week. No Charge. I worry about trying to remove this other one I used LockTite on. I tried and can't get it off. If I use my heat gun I am worried about melting stuff. Since the linear bearings are plastic.

- Jim

Kenm810
02-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi Jim,

If you use your heat gun sparingly, and heat the QC slowly
the Loc-tite should brake down before the bearings get hot enough to be damaged.
Mine let go with only half the heat I though I'd need.

Good Luck with yours