PDA

View Full Version : New To Forum,simple questions

GaryV
02-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi All,
I have just started looking into the Carvewright machine and it seems to do a lot more than I thought it would and have downloaded the demo software and seems fairly easy at first, I have a cnc mill for metal already and know that the software is only for use wih the Carvewright , but if I find a used carvewright do I have to pay for the software? Or is it registered to the machine and I get new registration codes when I buy a used mill..
Also in the design page can you design a part larger than 14.5 inches then split them to cut in 2 diffent peices? I know it will cut as long of a part as I want but wondering about width..
Ok thanks for the help and by looking around the board there are a lot of people who like this machine and willing to help with any information needed ..
Thanks in advance ..
GaryV..

DocWheeler
02-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Gary,

I would imagine that nobody is responding to you because we do not have the answer to the software question.
Anyway, welcome. There are a great bunch of people here.

The second part of your question is easier, see http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4938

TurkeyBranch
02-13-2008, 07:46 PM
And welcome. I am sure if you buy a used machine, you can just download the software from the site, call them with the name of the person that you bought it from and they will take the license back fron them and re-issue a new one to you. As long asa he signed a bill of sale that you can fax them, I think you be allright

Ed

GaryV
02-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks For the fast response guy's..
Gary

hotpop
02-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Also in the design page can you design a part larger than 14.5 inches then split them to cut in 2 diffent peices? I know it will cut as long of a part as I want but wondering about width..

Yes - The trick is to use the same pattern in two separate files. One the first board. Turn on the Snap and Grid. Line up the vertical center to the edge of the board. Then snap the corners to grid intersections. On the second board do the same but rotate the pattern 180 degrees.

TIMCOSBY
02-13-2008, 09:01 PM
think you will have any warranty with a used machine.

GaryV
02-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks for all the info,
I dont know I will have to check and see about the warranty on a re-furbished machine. But I found a few on ebay for $1100.00 re-furbished from the company , But I will have to check the warranty, Good Point..
Gary

GaryV
02-13-2008, 09:22 PM
I Just Double checked , and no warranty for re-furbs..
Just gotta weigh the difference of $800.00 verses 200 hrs or 1 years warranty..
Gary

mitch
02-13-2008, 09:40 PM
gary --you can use the grid to place your patterns on .

The "DH"
02-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Heres another example of doing something wider than 14 1/2 inchs, each board is 10 by 24 so with some patients and using the grid it can be done with two files. The example is still in the rough and will be used as dartboard cabinet doors when complete.. Happy Carving...

GaryV
02-14-2008, 07:34 AM
DH ,
nice design for the doors how long did each door take to cut and did you have tool changes or did you cut it all with one bit?

The "DH"
02-14-2008, 08:13 AM
It took 3 1/2 hours per door at a depth of .25 the edge route I did myself, so just one bit 1/6 carving.

GaryV
02-14-2008, 09:29 AM
I-just-asked-(sorry-space-button-is-broke)-is-there-a-way-to-rough-out-with-a-1/4"-bit-and-then-go-back-and-finish-pass-details-so-it-takes-less-time-as-well-as-wear-and-tear-on-the-router?
GaryV

Jeff_Birt
02-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Nope, the machine has no provision for a roughing pass. As it carves all the reliefs in raster mode I'm not sure there would be an advantage to it.

GaryV
02-14-2008, 11:25 AM
So-if-you-are-cutting-with-a-.062tho-bit-at-a-depth-of.750-it-cuts-in-one-pass?
-If-that-is-the-case-then-it-would-not-speed-up-the-cutting-time--
Thanks
Gary
sorry-again-about-the-----'s-my-computer-in-the-garage-space-bar-quit--

forqnc
02-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Yes Gary, the 1/16th carving bit has a 3/4" length of cut, it makes one pass across the board and drives up and down depending on the pattern, once done it then moves the X axis (sandpaper belts) and makes it's next pass. It keeps doing this until the pattern is complete.
Good Luck with your purchase.

badger
02-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Heres another example of doing something wider than 14 1/2 inchs, each board is 10 by 24 so with some patients and using the grid it can be done with two files. The example is still in the rough and will be used as dartboard cabinet doors when complete.. Happy Carving...

Ive had alot of luck with the Kreg jig if someone would have wished to join those two together for 1 sign. It does wonders on miter corners and joining together to hide seems. I use it since I dont have any of the other jointers.