PDA

View Full Version : a Protection Agreement / Yes or No

The Fixer
02-13-2008, 04:31 PM
I am ordering the machine, which I have been reading about for so long tonight. On sale til the 14th. Sears has the protecton plan for 3 or 5 years. Any opinion on if it is worth the 2 -3 hundred

forqnc
02-14-2008, 11:53 AM
If you use the seach link at the top of the page you will find this has been discussed several times. Basically some people have got it and been told it is good, others have heard the opposite. Nobody so far has had to use it to find out the truth.

Icutone2
02-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Hello I got the 3 year plan from Sears, haven't used it yet but it is kind of nice to know that you have 3 years of use if anything should happen thy will fix it.
And the 1 year check up and cleaning is nice also.:D

TIMCOSBY
02-14-2008, 03:28 PM
check up and cleaning from what i have read they really don't even know what the machine is........ so be carefull.

deemon328
02-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Yes, if you're going to send every problem to them and wait for the turnaround. They have a 4 problem lemon rule, then you get a new machine.

I have one for peace of mind, but I've fixed all my problems myself so far so that I don't have as much downtime. I'm banking on going out of the 200 hour/1 year warranty and eventually having some major problem that pays for the cost of the MPA.

newcarver
02-14-2008, 04:40 PM
If i knew that better quality machines were comming out now i would purchase it for the replacement after 3 issues, had i had it from the start of my journey, i'd be on my fifth machine now(not kidding). But heck, they still leave screws out as this thread clearly shows

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=43875#post43875

I was told by sears for more $ they will have a service tech come to your house to repair, now if i could get them to come and verify it wasn't working and let me do the repairs i'd be on that in a heartbeat.

TonyToolman
02-16-2008, 02:53 PM
I purchased the three year plan. When I tried to use it, Sears referred me to the CarveWright support number (after being on the phone with them for about an hour and being transfered 11 times).The CarveWright tech said that they don't honor the Sears extended warranty. When I went back to Sears, they referred me back to the Carvewright number. I am still trying to get something resolved.:cry:

ChrisAlb
02-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Sears (in my opinion) has been living off their name for over 30 years now. When I was a kid I worked as a service adviser in their auto department. Even then (now over 30 years ago), I was smart enough to leave because in all good conscience, I simply couldn't abide by the "policies" they insisted I enforce on the customers and their cars.

Sears isn't and hasn't been for a LONG time the "family oriented" company they used to be and built the name on.

Sorry but I'd bet you got duped and I wouldn't expect any positive results. I myself haven't bought anything from them since I left.

IM2HAPPI
02-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Tony, seeings your the first to try and use it please keep us informed in your outcome.
Thanks Barb

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-16-2008, 07:18 PM
This is all my opinion. But the sears contractual agreement that you purchase is a legal binding agreement holding sears to every word of the agreement. Now dealing with different sears stores as i have in the past will provide different results because they are based on different management. Im sure that if you press the issue instead of getting the runaround it may get resolved and if not find the uppermanagement even if that means contacting headquarters and letting them know what you are dealing with at one of their stores.

dwbox
02-16-2008, 08:19 PM
The warranty that people seem to have been buying is for table saws, not for the CompuCarve. I seriously doubt that Sears will have to do more than give you your money back for a warranty on a product you don't actually own. As far as it being legally binding....... So what? If Sears doesn't want to honor it because it's not for the CompuCarve and was sold in error, then you can spend 3 -5 years arguing it in court. I was told there is no extended warranty, and LHR has been clear that they do not support one. It's not like we can claim we didn't know.

DocWheeler
02-16-2008, 08:29 PM
I bought an agreement early last year and it arrived for a "tablesaw" as stated above. Called them and got my money back.

After hearing that someone here found that they were now actually covering the CC, I called them to check it out. Talked to a fellow that told me "No", I pressed him to check it out. He talked to his supervisor and found that they had just received notification that they really did now cover the CC. Bought a contract - have not received it yet.

PS I was told that I would have to take to a Sears store where they would ship it to LHR.

The Fixer
02-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks all, for the words of wisdom

al2888dj
02-16-2008, 11:08 PM
my warranty has name of product and ***#----- roanoke va. store 1-29-08 to 1-29-2013 0n warranty

Ken Massingale
02-17-2008, 05:54 AM
my warranty has name of product and ***#----- roanoke va. store 1-29-08 to 1-29-2013 0n warranty
So does mine.

scott9710
02-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Sears (in my opinion) has been living off their name for over 30 years now. When I was a kid I worked as a service adviser in their auto department. Even then (now over 30 years ago), I was smart enough to leave because in all good conscience, I simply couldn't abide by the "policies" they insisted I enforce on the customers and their cars.

Sears isn't and hasn't been for a LONG time the "family oriented" company they used to be and built the name on.

Sorry but I'd bet you got duped and I wouldn't expect any positive results. I myself haven't bought anything from them since I left.

I remember that debacle many years ago with Sears auto service dept. it even made on Sunday 60 minutes program and other news. Now I find myself questing Sears Craftsman name, now that we have the internet to make more informed decisions before we buy a service or product.

poteetjr
02-19-2008, 02:02 PM
I tried to clam a quick change adapter on my sears extended warranty. I am still fighting to have sears pay for the part because LHR dose not honor the warranty and sears will refer you to Carvewright. I have been told be Carvewright that there is talk about a warranty soon but as of this time there is no extended warrantees.

scw
02-19-2008, 02:17 PM
check this link here on Carvewright for info about how extended warranties work.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=6199

also, understand that "extended warranties" do not kick in untill after the "manufacturer warranty" period expires, even though the two warranties may 'overlap' for 3 months or 1 year.

and to be fair, the CRAFTSMAN brand name has nothing to do with Compucarve, Carvewright or LHR.

The famous CRAFTSMAN "lifelong warranty" applies to hand tools only.
not power tools, and not just any old thing you buy at a Sears store.

oclatta
02-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Ever since K-Mart bought Sears, I have seen a decline in Craftsman tools and service. I decided that even though I could save money on the Compucarve at Sears, I was going to pay the price to the company that I was going to expect to support the unit, CarveWright.

TonyToolman
02-20-2008, 05:03 PM
I finally got Sears to agree to come and do the repair. They scheduled me for the 21st, and so today I called to verify that someone would be coming out tomorrow. They said that no one we scheduled, but they would schedule me for Friday (the 22nd). They tell you that you need to be home between 8am and 5pm. The tech will try to call before they come, but if you fail to answer, they will not come. I will let you all know if they actually come, and if they even know what the machine is or does. It took a week to get someone that knew that it was for woodworking.

dustyshp
02-20-2008, 05:18 PM
I've been following this closely as I purchased the 5 year warranty.
I recieved it today.
Product was listed as Woodworking Machine . Model # 21754 with a service location of Repair center. Expiration 1/28/2013.

I checked and the Model number on Sears site does bring up the Carvewright Carver.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens when someone takes thier machine in for repair.

HighTechOkie
02-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Tony, if your machine aint F.U.B.A.R. yet, it sure will be after a Sears' tech gets done poking around LOL.

Rob

Semper Fi
02-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Tony, the model number on my contract, which took almost a month to arrive, doesn't compare to the number in the Sears website either. But they looped off the first few digits of the part number ( to save ink?). I also noticed the serial number wasn't included on the contract, but the lady that answered the phone assured me they had it in their records. I hope I never have to test this agreement, but if I have to, my local Sears franchise store is listed as a "repair" center, so it will be convenient to get service. I don't think they would try to attempt to service it themselves and must send it back to LHR. I look at this as an insurance policy against unexpected repair costs. Like most insurance policys, the company makes out in the long run, but if you need it, you're awfully glad you have it. JM2C's!

Ernie

forqnc
02-21-2008, 08:06 AM
I finally got Sears to agree to come and do the repair. They scheduled me for the 21st, and so today I called to verify that someone would be coming out tomorrow. They said that no one we scheduled, but they would schedule me for Friday (the 22nd). They tell you that you need to be home between 8am and 5pm. The tech will try to call before they come, but if you fail to answer, they will not come. I will let you all know if they actually come, and if they even know what the machine is or does. It took a week to get someone that knew that it was for woodworking.

Sorry to hear about your problems Tony, but please do let us know how it turns out good or bad. I believe your the first member, on the forum, to actually have to use the Sears Extended Warranty.
Good Luck

Bill
02-21-2008, 08:13 AM
hi Ernie,
This is what nirmala from the Carvewright Staff has to say about any extended warranty (link (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6199))

We understand that Sears has begun selling extended warranties on the
CompuCarve. We do not honor or service any extended warranty at this time.
We can only refer you back to the Sears store where the sale was made.

Thank you.

LHR Technologies

Ken Massingale
02-21-2008, 08:26 AM
hi Ernie,
This is what nirmala from the Carvewright Staff has to say about any extended warranty (link (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6199))

We understand that Sears has begun selling extended warranties on the
CompuCarve. We do not honor or service any extended warranty at this time.
We can only refer you back to the Sears store where the sale was made.

Thank you.

LHR Technologies
Which is exactly the point. The extended warranties are from Sears, LHR is not involved.

Semper Fi
02-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Tony, your and my master agreement don't read the same. Mine gives the service location as a "repair center". I would think they would be wasting your and their time by sending a service person out to your site. I would bet he takes your machine back with him and sends it down to Texas for LHR service on a billable, to Sears, basis. Please keep us informed on how it goes down.

Ernie

Hexe SA
02-21-2008, 03:31 PM
I went the Sears route and took my machine in after the 90 days no question ask return period. I took it too the store I bought it from, they send it to the repair center ( in San Antonio it was another Sears store). This took 1 week to drive it 15 miles. They had it for 1 week and returned it too the store. They called me and said it was fixed , pick it up. I did and the service tag said they could not repair it. Sear ordered a new one and I picked it up a week later. This whole affair took 4 weeks, for a broken Quick Chuck. So much for the Sears repair center. Next machine (the new one), flipped a bit and broke the chuck. Called LHR and had a new one shipped within a week and was up and running again. I'm still in my 1 year warranty and unless Sears can proof to me they have someone that knows what they are doing they will not touch it again. Even if LHR doesn't offer an extended warranty I rather spend that money on a repair by LHR than giving it too Sears.
Eva

Semper Fi
02-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Now I'm starting to feel a little bit nervous. I guess until one of us has to use the new protection agreement we won't know for sure who is going to fix it. This agreement is very new and I wouldn't confuse it with the early agreements that were sold and then cancelled by Sears because they were for saws and the like. All I'm taking some cosolence in is the 4 strike lemon guarantee which will get you a new machine if they can't get it fixed after 4 tries.