PDA

View Full Version : Using the CW for business purposes?

amanda0101
02-13-2008, 03:47 PM
I know a lot of you incorporate your CW into your preexisting business. I have also read not to stake a whole business into the CW because it is not the most reliable machine. My quesion is, does anyone have more than 1 CW and that is all that they use? I am not looking to start a business that will pay my mortgage and cover all of my bills since my husband also works, but I wouldn't mind making enough from lithopanes and carvings to cover the cost of materials and machine repairs as they come up. It is an expensive hobby and if I could sell a few things a month to help pay for it that would be ideal. I also wouldn't mind saving the money for a second, (or even third), CW since I do have so much fun with it but it is a bit slow.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-13-2008, 04:44 PM
I currently have 2 machines but havnt made a dollar off of either. I could definately see the potential in making money with it. Ive had a few offers and may do something for others once my skill has increased. I just basically have lots of leftover wood being in a wood processing business so i saw the advantage of being able to make some nice things for my home and gifts without having to buy all the wood. So yes definately there is business potential, especially with some of the skilled pieces i have seen you produce. And being in business it would be a good idea to have a backup machine to run when the other is down. I only had one planer and it went down once and had to wait on another it ended up being a costly learning experience. Every customer that comes looking for wood see the carvewright and wants something so with proper advertising and skill the possibilities are endless.

mcanelly
02-14-2008, 01:25 AM
Hello Amanda,
We do have 2 machines that are used as our main machines for a sign carving business. Our third machine is going to be ordered this month. We also do hand carving with routers for some of our larger signs.
Since we started using the CW, we have made quite a good living. We started out by doing a two week fair and now have a regular shop in one of our town’s biggest malls.
We did practice quite a bit before making the decision to use it full time. It's true that they can be aggravating from time to time, however there hasn’t been a problem that couldn't be fixed either from postings in this forum, or from the great people at Carvewright. My biggest suggestion is keep a regular maintenance program with your machine and it will do a great job for you.
Having two machines running at the same is quite a nice sound. After seeing the look on my friends faces when they saw the signs that we made for them, it was an easy decision to start selling them.
Good luck!!!
Here's a picture of one of my favorites.
JIM

Digitalwoodshop
02-14-2008, 10:56 AM
I use it as part of my business and have 2 machines. I am lucky that I am a Mr. Fix It so after I got the feel for the machine I just order parts. I did have 2 machines down before Christmas but got one working on time to meet my deadlines.

Dust collection will go a long way to keeping your machine running.

If you search my post's you will see the stuff I build from Quilt and Wine Racks to Signs. The Carved Christmas Ornaments were hot this year.

Good Luck,

AL

The "DH"
02-14-2008, 11:26 AM
I have 2 machines with plenty of spare parts on hand. The CW does about 30% of all my orders. The machines are great for starting out. I’ve owned and operated my business for 6 years and the CWs have given my customers more options and paid for themselves in short order.

oldjoe
02-14-2008, 11:40 AM
I have but one machine I bought it with simalar intentions as you not going to become a millionaire or retire off it but just to cover its costs and maybe some minnow money or and extra dinner out for my wife and I. So far it has been hit or miss. Everyone that sees my work loves it until it time to get out the check book. I am looking into doing some craft shows but after talking to a lot of people that do them they are all telling me that sales are down. But I was told that summer shows do better especially the outdoor shows. I am not sure where you live but from the craft shows I have been watching we have and advantage. By that I mean we own a CompuCarve, most of the shows I have been to all the woodworkers there are using lasers. Which I think lacks something.
I don't know if this helps in anyway but I just thought I would throw in my 2 bits worth.
Good Luck and if you can, keep me informed as to how you are doing.

The "DH"
02-14-2008, 12:17 PM
OldJoe,
You are right on track with the check book for every 10 request only one or two are willing to write that check. Since most of my work is custom my second question is how much are you looking to spend. The first question is how did you hear about the "DH". Funny you should mention the laser. I'm adding a mid sized one to the shop this summer and I do agree they do lack that certian look, but I want to offer both.

pkunk
02-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Mine has been a great addition to my cabinet business. I've made boxes of ornamental plinth blocks, rosettes on 8x8x48 portal corbels, Lots of signs, carvings on a bed, & carvings on furniture.

oldjoe
02-14-2008, 06:19 PM
boxes of ornamental plinth blocks

Forgive me Pkunk but what is the above mentioned? I have never heard of anything like that before. Guess you never stop learning.

Kenm810
02-14-2008, 06:50 PM
If I might answer,
I use them around Door casings or Fire Places
Even for corners on Frame for Large Pantings.
The CW or CC Machines is great for carving
custom ornamental pieses.

Azbear
02-15-2008, 06:20 AM
I know a lot of you incorporate your CW into your preexisting business. I have also read not to stake a whole business into the CW because it is not the most reliable machine. My quesion is, does anyone have more than 1 CW and that is all that they use? I am not looking to start a business that will pay my mortgage and cover all of my bills since my husband also works, but I wouldn't mind making enough from lithopanes and carvings to cover the cost of materials and machine repairs as they come up. It is an expensive hobby and if I could sell a few things a month to help pay for it that would be ideal. I also wouldn't mind saving the money for a second, (or even third), CW since I do have so much fun with it but it is a bit slow.

I also have more than one machine now and both are used in my business. The business is new and taking off just great. I've completed address signs, beverage coasters (lots) mirror holders, hanging and hand held, the list goes on and on.
I don't make enough $$ to quit my day job yet, but my customer base is growing weekly. Word of mouth is my best advertizing.

Digitalwoodshop
02-15-2008, 09:10 AM
I remember one time last summer I called and asked for a part I needed, a board detector under warranty, and wanted to purchase 1 additional board detector. I said since my business was taking off I wanted to have the extra one......

The customer service lady keyed on what I said.... "Business"..... And for a fleeting moment I got the distinct impression that since I was using it for a business that she was having second thoughts of processing my warranty part..... Might be something in the Warranty about using the machine for business..... I did get my part but I never mentioned business again...

AL

pkunk
02-15-2008, 10:26 AM
OldJoe, Ken has it. There is a demand for them especially ones that match others in a house. The new ones are 'cookie cutter' ones made with a drill press type rosette cutter.

oldjoe
02-15-2008, 11:14 AM
That's what those things are called I just thought they were there so the carpenter didn't have to cut a mitre. Thanks for the info

pkunk
02-15-2008, 11:27 AM
That's what those things are called I just thought they were there so the carpenter didn't have to cut a mitre. Thanks for the info
Heheh, that too.:p For a really crooked door frame, it's easier to sand or cut an angle on the trim where it hits the plinth for a neat joint. In the old houses, there was often quite decorative door & window trim. Expensive screw ups if a miter was cut wrong.