PDA

View Full Version : newbee

skeeterman
02-13-2008, 04:35 AM
Hello all, i have read and reread all of the post on here. i will be recieving my machine thursday (cant wait) although by what i have read i will not get to use it right away because my shop is not heated, and it is in the 20,s now. any tips will be apreciated.
I sure am praying that i dont get a lemon as some have on this site. also are there any carvwright owners in the central arkansas area?

ChrisAlb
02-13-2008, 04:56 AM
Hello all, i have read and reread all of the post on here. i will be recieving my machine thursday (cant wait) although by what i have read i will not get to use it right away because my shop is not heated, and it is in the 20,s now. any tips will be apreciated.
I sure am praying that i dont get a lemon as some have on this site. also are there any carvwright owners in the central arkansas area?

Welcome Skeeterman,

All of them?? LOL you must have been reading for a long time. I've run my machine in my shop at 50 but I wouldn't go any lower than that. The makers say 60 - 65 should be minimum. While I won't claim there are no lemons. Most of what you read in here can be attributed to operator errors. I know I know nobody likes to admit that including myself at first but after 160+ hours and a 14.75 hour marathon cut yesterday, My machine runs great. Since I bought it last August I've had only two problems. My first was caused by me and I think even my second one was but there's really no way to tell.

I also believe that those who got a bad or broken one right out of the box is probably due to shipping handlers more than anything else. In any case, take your time, get familiar with it and like the rest of us, if you have troubles, post them in here and you'll have ALL KINDS of help.

Again, Welcome and good luck!

Chris

The "DH"
02-13-2008, 06:18 AM
Welcome, best of luck with your carvings. Be sure to look over your machine for loose screws!!! Before I insulted my shop it would get down into the low 30s' so I would use a small kerosene heater an hour before running a project. The heater would bring the shop up to 70 degrees... Now that I insulted I have to turn the heater off... it gets warm 80+ degrees and holds a temp of 60 degrees through out the night. Happy Carving

Router-Jim
02-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Welcome, best of luck with your carvings. Be sure to look over your machine for loose screws!!! Before I insulted my shop it would get down into the low 30s' so I would use a small kerosene heater an hour before running a project. The heater would bring the shop up to 70 degrees... Now that I insulted I have to turn the heater off... it gets warm 80+ degrees and holds a temp of 60 degrees through out the night. Happy Carving

There's no need to insult your shop! ;) Just kidding. I've had great luck carving at 50º.

Jim

The "DH"
02-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Hah!!! I insult my shop at least once daily!!! but the insulation works great can't wait for summer to see if it stay's cool.

bjbethke
02-13-2008, 11:19 AM
I live near Yellville, AR on Hwy 14 South. That’s North central AR.

I heat with wood, and all my wood is covered with ICE. Stop by if you head north, My e-mail is bjb@yellville.net

Should get up to 45 degrees today.

ChrisAlb
02-13-2008, 12:36 PM
LOL...I'll show you ICE!!! LOL Don't you just love winter?

Router-Jim
02-13-2008, 01:02 PM
You can keep that ice.

Here's a picture of my shop.

castingman
02-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Jim, Thats nasty, We got about 4" yesterday and thats enought, I'd like to take mine to Fla. and try to carve on a coconut.
Michael

ozarkcrafter
02-13-2008, 08:14 PM
I live near Yellville, AR on Hwy 14 South. That’s North central AR.

I'm glad to see someone on here from Arkansas. I live in Hardy, home of the Spring River.

sweliver
02-13-2008, 08:57 PM
I love the Ozarks, Buffalo R, did some caving and backpacking there in the '70's, I've been looking for property down there, know of any good deals? Caving, whitewater kayaking are the things keeping me away from woodworking.

One of my ex co-workers is living in Yellville.

Steve

sweliver
02-13-2008, 09:06 PM
I love the Ozarks, Buffalo R, did some caving and backpacking there in the '70's, I've been looking for property down there, know of any good deals? Caving, whitewater kayaking are the things keeping me away from woodworking.

One of my ex co-workers is living in Yellville.

Steve

I tried to correct my mispelling...bjbethke...

CW's forum structure is different.

Sorry,

sw

pkunk
02-13-2008, 09:09 PM
I tried to correct my mispelling...bjbethke...

CW's forum structure is different.

Sorry,

sw
Use the 'edit' tab unstead of the 'quote'.

www.go3d.us
02-13-2008, 09:21 PM

LOL I don't even have a shop to insulthttp://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif
Welcome.
HT

skeeterman
02-14-2008, 04:36 AM
machine arives today!
Will be working on mounting it to bench and prepairing it for run,
Have played with trial software , seems easy enough to do a sign with just words but not quite sure about how you make it cut with raised letters on a board with the outside edges raised as well, hope fully the software will be more self explanitary.
I am in the North Little Rock Area to you fellow arkansans.