PDA

View Full Version : Another problem

amanda0101
02-12-2008, 11:20 PM
For some reason the last couple of days my carving bit has been giving me really rough edges. It makes small holes in the wood before it starts making the shape of the pattern and I am not sure how to fix it. It's a pain to sand down and I was wondering if this was a problem with my machine or my bit. I just got the bit last week and I have been taking good care of it so I don't know what the issue could be. It happened in the lithopane that I carved today too. Here is a picture of the sides, I know it is hard to see but any idea of how to fix it? I have a bunch of projects for tomorrow so I would like to get it fixed asap.

amanda0101
02-12-2008, 11:27 PM
This is my test lithopane that I made today and you can see the bottom edge just isn't right

ChrisAlb
02-12-2008, 11:31 PM
For some reason the last couple of days my carving bit has been giving me really rough edges. It makes small holes in the wood before it starts making the shape of the pattern and I am not sure how to fix it. It's a pain to sand down and I was wondering if this was a problem with my machine or my bit. I just got the bit last week and I have been taking good care of it so I don't know what the issue could be. It happened in the lithopane that I carved today too. Here is a picture of the sides, I know it is hard to see but any idea of how to fix it? I have a bunch of projects for tomorrow so I would like to get it fixed asap.

Nope, not the machine or the bit. It's random colored pixels in the image. Remember, The CW sees ALL 255 shades of gray "by the number". If you have a region that contains shade 150, if that region has even one pixel that's 151 or 149, The CW sees it and carves it accordingly.

Jeff_Birt
02-13-2008, 12:01 AM
You can try adding some draft to your carve regions to smooth those spots.

amanda0101
02-13-2008, 12:07 AM
I will try that! Would feathering help at all?

badger
02-13-2008, 12:30 AM
I would image blurring might help better.

Just along the bottom not the whole thing.

The "DH"
02-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Those definitely look like artifacts in you file. What editing software do you use?? Are you using jpg or png files? You can fix edges and remove artifacts better in 3rd party software (ie adobe or coral).

amanda0101
02-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Those definitely look like artifacts in you file. What editing software do you use?? Are you using jpg or png files? You can fix edges and remove artifacts better in 3rd party software (ie adobe or coral).

They are jpg's. This was just a test to see how carving on the corian would turn out. I am going to try to color it today just to see how it looks. When I do the real thing it will be png files.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-13-2008, 11:42 AM
I was having the same problem with no resolve here a while back. Still in the experimentation mode. I noticed that when i was getting little holes it was the jpeg pixelation the machine was sensitive enough to try and recognize it. I tried cleaning it up in photoshop and got a little better result. Theres some good information in search when it was being discussed a while back. So i dont have an immediate answer as i too am trying to master carving pictures. Just thought i would offer my two cents.