PDA

View Full Version : Conserving Wood.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Just out of curiousity. I got a lot of scrap carvings that are left over from the learning curve and im sure there will be more in the future. But i couldnt find whats the minimum thickness a board the carver will accept. Cause my thinking is and it may be helpful to others is like if my board is .075 thickness and the carving is less than say a quarter inch. Then I could plane off a quarter inch and start fresh if in fact the machine would accept a .50 board. Just thought of that cause i seen the big stack of cherry plaques in my shop. I just dont know cause i've never used anything but .075 because that is my finished dimension coming off the mill into the kiln then through the planer. So my question is whats the minimum? Sorry if its a beginner question, im still green in some areas and couldnt find the info.

ChrisAlb
02-12-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm not positive about this but I think you can use down to .25 thick. Might require a sled but in any case, I wouldn't burn that wood...lol

DocWheeler
02-12-2008, 03:59 PM
The CC/CW can work with a total thickness down to 1/2" inch (I recall someone saying that they have carved 3/8" without a sled). LHR says 1/2" I think.
With the use of a sled or "carrier-board", you can carve as thin a piece of material as you want.
Save those scraps and make a sled to use them with!

hotpop
02-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Here it is right out of the "Owners Manual".

Workpiece Size Limitations

Small Workpiece

The minimum acceptable size of a workpiece that can be inserted into the CarveWright™ is 1.5 inches wide x 0.25 inches thick x 6 inches long. It will be necessary to mount the workpiece onto a jig if any single dimension is smaller than the stated minimums.

HighTechOkie
02-12-2008, 04:49 PM
That's odd Mel, the manual dated 1/09/08 from the carvewright site states:

pg 31.
" Workpiece Size Limitations "

Small Workpiece - The minimum acceptable size of a workpiece that can
be inserted into the CarveWright is 1.5 inches wide x 0.5 inches thick x 7
inches long. It will be necessary to mount the workpiece onto a jig if any
single dimension is smaller than the stated minimums.

Where did you pull that info from Mel?

Rob

hotpop
02-12-2008, 07:34 PM
HighTechOkie

I got the info off a pdf file. "CarveWright_manual.pdf I don't remember how I got it. The file doesn't have any publish or release numbers or dates on it. But the file date on my computer is 10/13/2005.

I just opened my CompuCarve_manual.pdf and it reads:

Workpiece Size Limitations

Small Workpiece - The minimum acceptable size of a workpiece that can
be inserted into the CompuCarve is 1.5 inches wide x 0.5 inches thick x 7
inches long. It will be necessary to mount the workpiece onto a jig if any
single dimension is smaller than the stated minimums.

This file is dated on every page, CompuCarve™ System (Rev 1.16) 02/20/07

Sorry for the error folks!

Anyway today I did a Centerline text on 3/8" plywood with out any problem.

Bones1963
02-12-2008, 07:41 PM
My manual says a 1/4 min (CC), but I have tried that thin and it would not detect it. I covered the top of the work piece with blue painters tape and it worked but a jig maybe easier took a lot of tape. The manual tells you how to check your sensor so it is at it's finest. May work if it is sensing sensitive.

Gunner
02-13-2008, 07:10 AM
Just for grins I laminated together maple and cherry. The carve through area shows off the two different woods. Looks good on some patterns. Something to use the scrap for.

Gunner

Semper Fi
02-13-2008, 07:17 AM
I just turn the board over and carve from the back side. Then you can always plane the old off. This will work as long as you don't carve too close to the board edge the first time. That way you still have your 3/4 inch board to carve. Maybe not right, but that's how I've done it.

The "DH"
02-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Another good tip!!! Just purchased my planer a few months ago and have tons of test cuts taking up space around the shop, time to plane and reuse!!!
I have carved into ¼ inch with no problems. (two 1/8 inch pieces stuck together).