PDA

View Full Version : New Chuck?

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Anyone ever thought of trying to make a new chuck for the machine. Like maybe milling one out or taking one from an exising machine and trying to put it on the machine. I think i would be just as happy with a drill type chuck, was kinda exploring that idea for later on once my machine gets in its elder stages. Just curious if anyone has tried anything with success or if maybe we could talk LHR into coming out with something. The quick release is fine and dandy but i got drill type chucks probably 50 years old that work perfect with never a problem ..

hotpop
02-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Changing to another chuck type would require new logic for the CW. Now the machine prompts for an assortment of bits before any cutting takes place.

The Quick Change is very clever but seems to be light duty for the stress us users are putting on them. I had to replace two chucks in less then 60 hours because the adapter slots broke away in the metal tapered sleeves. It seems the tapered sleeve needs to be reviewed and beefed up. Maybe a change in material or heat treat or what ever is due.

I've read that some of the old timers are running 150 hrs. or more without any problems with their original chucks. Perhaps their chucks came from a different source then ones being shipped today. Maybe they didn't come from China.

Dan-Woodman
02-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Another idea would be to make a new shaft for the z-truck with threads that will accept the sears quick chuck. I see them on e-bay for just a few bucks.

I'm talking about the quick chuck that sears sells for the sears router, older and newer models. later Daniel
Sounds like another project for rjustice.

rjustice
02-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi all,
I am on it guys (and gals)... The shoulder is healing up, and i am feeling up to getting back into manufacturing the parts for our carving community...
I have completed engineering on a few different ideas, and I hope to release a replacement chuck within the next 2-3 weeks. At this point I am looking at few different options. I have had many emails asking for simply a 1/4 replacement chuck to hold the carving, and cutout bits.
Option 1: will meet this need. It will be a setscrew style adapter that replaces the QC I can offer 1/8,1/4,3/8, and 1/2" adapters
Option 2: will be a collet style that will just replace the QC. This one will have a collet set that will hold 1/8, 1/4, and 3/8... I dont think I am going to be able to fit the 1/2" collet into this one due to size restrictions.
Option 3: will be the best situation, but will require changing out the spindle. I will probably offer an entire kit that will include new bearings, a tool for pressing out the bearings, and complete instructions. This will be for the hardcore users. I would rank this option up with professional CNC machine chucks. By replacing the spindle, I can do much more with other quick change ideas, as well as eliminate the need to use the small square tool to hold the spindle during changeouts.
If i can get some CNC lathe time this comming weekend, I should have prototypes done, and start testing next week. Please email me if you have an interest, so that i can determine what the most popular interest is....

CW_Parts@yahoo.com

Thanks, and happy carving to all

Ron

newcarver
02-12-2008, 06:09 PM
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6939213-description.html

Ron, I don't know if you are aware that the chuck is patented... I wouldn't want you to go through all the work developing it for nothing. After all the issues with patterns, hate to think what they say about parts...

rjustice
02-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks for looking out for me, but the QC is patented, not the spindle or the mount. I will not be using their chuck or bit adpaters for this new design.

Happy carving!

Ron

Bones1963
02-12-2008, 06:33 PM
I have a 1/4 inch X 1/8 adapter that I have from when I hung drywall in my younger days. I put it in the 1/4 quickchange adapter and then the 1/8 bits are taken in and out with a small allen wrench it works great for me there are tons of cheap high speed steel bits that are 1/8 see (roto-zips and Dremel tool bits at hardware stores or online). You can get the adapter at sears near the router bits. Drywall supply store also have them. They were first made so you could turn your router into a roto-zip and route out boxes windows and door while hanging drywall.