PDA

View Full Version : Carving Fonts

zman
02-11-2008, 09:33 PM
I am in the process of trying to carve individual letters. I tried to do some playing with the designer software setting up just one letter to carve. When I tried to upload the project a message came up about Auto Jig, manual or ignore. I thought it had to do with my project being too close to the edge of the board. I readjusted the project and still comes up with this message. What I am trying to do is to carve separate letters. Is there a size limit and also the direction of the letters places on the board? Also when carving letters is there a way to put an edge rout on them and if so what bit would you suggest? The next thing I am going to purchase is the Centerline software. Is there and advantage to using it for carving letters or its it more for sign making?

Thanks
Zman

Cmdr.Rav
02-11-2008, 09:47 PM
The auto jig comes up due to you wanting it to cut all the way through the board for single letters. I believe auto jig will tab the letters so they won't fly out of the board.

As forth to centerline it allows you to make vector or V grooved letters verses raster that cuts the letters flat on the bottom.

Hope that helped?

Rav

bjbethke
02-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Not sure if this is what you want.

Jeff_Birt
02-11-2008, 11:18 PM
The prompt for Auto or Manual Jigging comes up when ever Designer thinks you may be doing somethign that could cause damge to the machine. This includes: having carvings too close to the, cut-outs along the top or ends of the board.

Read over the December Tips&Tricks for more information: http://www.carvewright.com/tips.html

bjbethke
02-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Zman, You make a MPC to carve the letters, in fact you make two of them. I did a Number set for you. I need these numbers for a post by my drive way. Set the letters in Raster format. Then Outline Pattern(s). Them Select Bit, also select and setup CutPath.

This is MPC #1, Next Delete the “(T) Text Tool”. - MPC #2, Now saves a MPC with only the “Select Bit”, and the “CutPath”.

The edge will be routed first, Then the letter will be cut out. The CarveWright machine does all the work. You won’t break the CC. Use a board that will stay under the rollers. Lie to the machine when you set the carve up, or the CC will change the size of your letters. I used a board that was seven inches longer then my MPC length.

TIMCOSBY
02-27-2008, 09:35 PM
information about whats bothering it when it ask for the auto jig. tell us what else it says and we may have a better answer. your carvings that go through the board have to be at least 1/2" away from the keyboard side. if carving a wide board with carvings all the way across you need to leave about 3/4" on both sides for the pressure rollers to ride on it will still give you the autojig message when doing this but it is safe to ignore it under that situation.

zman
02-28-2008, 07:26 PM
I have this project that I ran the other night. Everything good. I believe It took like 38 min to run. It used the 1/2 ballnose and the 1/16 cutting bit. I have 4 more letters to run but cannot get it set up the same way. On this project I selected the outline in the font menu and somehow got it to outline and do the cut path. Doing this the same way I thought, I can not get the outline pattern or cut path to show. The only way is to run in raster mode and then it wants to use the carving bit also, adds my time up to 3 hours for the project. In this project you can see how I somehow got the outline font setting to outline and cut.

bjbethke
02-29-2008, 03:51 PM
You need to set it up in raster mode, Then select your bit and cut path.- Then DELETE the (T) raster mode, and save you MPC with only the bit and cut path. See sample MPC. This way it will not ask for the carving bit.

zman
03-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks Bj for the reply, it did the trick. Do not know how I did it in the first place. But knew there had to be an answer.

Thanks
Zman

mattkraskey
07-15-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm a little frustrated at my lack of ability to figure this out...

All I want to do is spell a word, overlap the letters, merge them into one outline, and cut the outline. I want the end product to be a one-piece word with no surface work done (only the edge routing). I cut one letter out with the font in outline mode, and it worked fine. I called tech support and they told me about the raster/outline pattern trick, but it routed out the whole letter, not just the outline (it basically destroyed the entire project, leaving the scrap intact!).

How do you do that 'delete the (T) text tool' move after you raster all of the letters? Will this give me the results I need?

Thanks to all, Matt

Amonaug
07-15-2008, 11:41 PM
Is this what you are wanting?

Use the text tool and type in your text, you can use the spacing option to make the letters as close together as you need to form 1 outline, I used raster mode. The other way is to use the text tool for each letter and move them to where you need them.

Once that is done select all the text and use the Outline Pattern tool. Delete any paths you don't want and you can delete the text too. Now you have a path of the outline of the text. You can apply a bit to it or use the cut path tool to cut it out.

mattkraskey
07-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks, all!

My wife and I spent ALL of our liquid assets to start this product line up and I was a little freaked out when I couldn't get it running. I couldn't figure out where the individual cuts were until I saw your files. (In the View>Carving List menu.)

Have a great day!

Matt

Don Butler
07-20-2008, 04:36 PM
My friends,

I've been following along your posts, postponing the moment when I actually try to make some wooddust (I just received my CW this past week). One thing I can't find in the design program is the choice between raster and the other mode.

My program is Version 1.126.

Best regards,

Don

AskBud
07-20-2008, 05:18 PM
My friends,

I've been following along your posts, postponing the moment when I actually try to make some wooddust (I just received my CW this past week). One thing I can't find in the design program is the choice between raster and the other mode.

My program is Version 1.126.

Best regards,

Don
Don,
See if this 15.3 MB Zipped AVI lesson on the Text Tool help you.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/cw-text%20tool.zip

Amonaug
07-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Just to the right where you type in what you want your text to say are the options for Raster, Outline and if you purchased it Centerline.

Kenm810
07-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Hi Don,

Right here, if this helps

Don Butler
07-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Gentlepersons,

Thanks very much for your patience and assistance.
:D

V,T.Y.,

Don