PDA

View Full Version : carvng bit is now loose

myshop1044
02-11-2008, 08:12 PM
I just notice that my carving bit is loose in the bit adapter, it moves up and down a little.
How do I correct this problem? I think I read some where on the forum
to use Locktight on the set screws,how about a little on the bit in the bit adapter.
Will this work?
the manual said to apply heat in order to soften the thread cment before lossing the set screws. How do you apply heat?

rjustice
02-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi Myshop... you should use Blue loctite on the setscrews. They can then be easily removed by using a heat gun. There has been some people that use a drop on the shank of the tool as well, but i personally have had no problem only putting it on the setscrews.

Happy carving!

Ron

myshop1044
02-11-2008, 08:32 PM
I bught the Blue locktite this afternoon and I am going to try it tomorrow
thanks again

rjustice
02-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Myshop, one other thing i thought of that many people dont realize... If there is oil on the screw or the bit adapter the Loctite doesnt work nearly as well, if at all.
You can use alcohol, or a really good thing to have around is brake cleaner purchased at the automotive stores... it has the little plastic tube that you can get into the holes on the bit adapter. Just give it just a little spurt, and it will evaporate and leave a clean surface for the Loctite to adhere too. This will absolutely hold until heated up.

Hope this helps...

Ron