PDA

View Full Version : First few carvings

amanda0101
02-11-2008, 06:08 PM
They are still a little rough around the edges but I am learning, this is not only my first time using the CW but my first time working with wood other than just painting already finished pieces. The one marked Lilli isn't done yet. Still needs to be smoothed out and I need to figure out if I want to stain the pictures or leave them natural. There's also a little scratch in the seabee one, that was later buffed out when I went to put the last coat of finish on. I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the finished product because my husband had to take it to work in the morning. The pieces don't really photograph well so I did what I could. Any thoughts of how I can improve would be great.

oldjoe
02-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I can't say if I could recommend any improvements other than keep up the great work. Was wondering what you used to finish the hummingbird plaque with picture was a little dark but it looks like you have added some color to the wood grain or something can't quite make it out. Too many years of welding I guess. What did you use
Keep up the great work,

Ken Massingale
02-12-2008, 02:45 PM
They all look darn good to me, Amanda.
How did you do the faces in Lilli?
ken

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Thats great work there Amanda. The finish work is especially impressive... If you dont mind me asking whats the wood and the stain on the seebees one. That is a great combination! Keep up the good work!

amanda0101
02-12-2008, 10:58 PM
The wood for the seabees plaque is red oak and I used an ebony stain with a lot of gloss finish. I wiped down the board but let the letters and bee absorb the stain more. The hummingbird plaque I used color pencils after the stain had dried. I used my finger to rub the color into the wood so it made it look more like different colored wood rather than paint or pencil, then I sprayed it with a gloss finish. I attached another picture that may be easier to see but the gloss and the horrible lighting in my house makes it difficult to get good pictures. The lilli plaque I just painted the wood with metallic paint before I carved the images. They came out okay considering they were jpegs. Thanks for the kind words, I see a lot of people making amazing things and I hope to eventually get to that quality of work.

dcurrysr
02-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Amanda, Looks like you are off to a great start. Your work looks great, keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing.
Dave