PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!! Need Help Asap!!!!

andes
02-11-2008, 05:33 PM
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am carving my first project, all went well and then the machine stopped and told me to change the bit; removing the current bit went ok, but the bit will not reinsert!!!! I tried for 20 mins. I need to get help right away, as my machine is waiting for me to replace the bit... I need help ASAP!

Andes

upcedar
02-11-2008, 05:44 PM
just hit stop and start over, abort-abort...

andes
02-11-2008, 05:49 PM
so if I stop, my project is lost - is that correct? Then I have lost wood . What is the cause for this? And wil stopping the machine help me with reinserting the bit? Also how long can the machine stay in the pause mode that its currently in?

Andes

Digitalwoodshop
02-11-2008, 05:59 PM
It will stay until the power flickers or you turn the power off....

If you leave the board in the unit and don't move it, in theory if you re stated the carving and used place on the end of the board or center of board it would air cut the same carved area. If you used jog to position lots of luck starting it in the same place.

Best to use center or place on end just for this reason.....

OK... The Bit..... Any chance you installed the bit holder on backwards?

AL

andes
02-11-2008, 06:13 PM
I used center and not jog. I made sure that the holder was not on backwards. By the way this is a brand new machine that I am using for the first time and I am using the bits that came with the machine.

Ande

Dan-Woodman
02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
just a thought,are you holding up on the chuck while trying to insert bit,and have you put just a touch of 3in one oil inside the chuck
also ,maybe check for sawdust up in the chuck. got mirror?
later Daniel

andes
02-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Dan,

Yes I am holding on the chuck while trying to insert the bit. I put wd on the bit holder but not in the chuck. I can try putting some in the chuck and check sawdust issue. will let you know in few.

Andes

Dan-Woodman
02-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Don't spray wd-40 anywhere where it could get on your wood, it contains silicone, which will not let wood absorb stain or finish. I use 3 in one oil just on my pinky and rub inside chuck.
later Daniel

ChrisAlb
02-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Didn't you have to insert the bit you now need in when the CW asked for it before the project started? Did you have any trouble then? Just a thought here but take a close look at Al's bit pictures and make sure the set screws aren't out any further than that.

andes
02-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Yep, I did insert the first bit without issues, but the second one just did not want to go in. it appeared that the chuck was not lifting up enough. I lubed it as Dan suggested and worked it until it would lift enough to insert. Bingo I was able to finish the test project. But then the bit didn't want to come out, so I lubed it a bit more and it came out. I will also check the set screws to ensure that they are not out to far on the bit holder. This machine is going to be awesome ;-} Now that I've made it through my first test cut -- I'm ready LOL. I want to thank everyone for coming to my rescue. I love this forum -- you get so much support. Once I do my frist real carve I will make sure I post pics.

Andes

ChrisAlb
02-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Sounds to me like the chuck may be packed up with some dust and or chips. I'd make sure it's clean and when you put a bit in, make sure the collar is all the way down and the bit is solid (no wiggle) before you carve.

Good to hear you're through the carve. Keep it up!

www.go3d.us
02-12-2008, 02:14 AM
I don't know if anyone notice a red mark on the chuck. If you rotate the chuck until you see a red paint mark on it and align it with the screw set and push the bit in. That's what I did everytime I change the bit.
Hope this help.
HT

forqnc
02-12-2008, 08:14 AM
I don't know if anyone notice a red mark on the chuck. If you rotate the chuck until you see a red paint mark on it and align it with the screw set and push the bit in. That's what I did everytime I change the bit.
Hope this help.
HT

Same here, after I had problems with my learning curve. I always look for the red mark on the chuck to move away slightly from the lower holder mark. As you lift the chuck up it should rotate slightly.

andes
02-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Mmmmmm, going to have to pay attention next time. Thanks for the input.

Ande