PDA

View Full Version : Set screw is loose within the chuck,

betacrash
02-10-2008, 09:09 PM
I have a bit of a conundrum. I recently posted about a screwed up project and found a loose bit to be to blame..

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=6061

Now I have a real problem. The set screw is loose enought that it has jammed the chuck. The bit will move up down left right just barely. It is a 1/16" ballnose. Seems to be wiggling and stopping within the notch that is in the side of the bit. The chuck is stuck...like chuck. It will not move at all. I have no idea what to do. Any ideas would be great. Im getting ready to get rid of my compucarve and get a bigger cnc router and this couldnt have happened at a worse time.

Digitalwoodshop
02-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Try the sling shot.... Take 2 fingers on each side of the QC and retract it up and let it snap back.... It's not good for the chuck but will spit out a bit....

Good Luck,

Look for BB marks on the bit holder too.... that = a worn chuck in need of replacement. It causes a bit jam too.

AL

betacrash
02-11-2008, 05:12 AM
the problem is that I cant even get the collar to move, it is absolutely stuck.

ChrisAlb
02-11-2008, 05:40 AM
the problem is that I cant even get the collar to move, it is absolutely stuck.

Do you have the bit removal tool? Mine gets stuck every once and while (most always due to dust and chips inside the chuck) and I find that the tool (used gently) helps me work the collar loose and get the bits out. I'll put the tool on it with just a little pressure then remove it and push the collar down. I repeat this until I get the bit out. I never just force the collar with the tool.

All my bit Colet's are original ones and I have 100+ hours on the carving bit. I've never gotten the BB effect on them as in Al's pictures. I attribute this to the fact that I've always cleaned out the chuck after every carve from day one using what Al calls the slingshot.

Al, Now you have me nervous about the slingshot by saying it's not good for the chuck. I've used that method since day one and never a problem. Just lucky maybe?? Just seemed like the only way to clean it out without disassembly.

Chris

betacrash
02-11-2008, 08:11 AM
unfortunately i do not have the tool. looks like I will need to buy one to get this resolved. Is the tool just a piece of stamped steel that fits in the groove around the adapter?

ChrisAlb
02-11-2008, 08:38 AM
OK beta,

Forgive me if I'm about to suggest things you've already tried. I'm sure you've tried many.

First, if the bit wiggles a little like you say, try positioning it to a point where it "feels" the loosest.

Squirt a little 3 in one, WD 40, lithium, anything you have that's not a "heavy" grease around the top of the collar edge so it gets between the collar and chuck. rotate the chuck while doing this to get the lube all the way around it.

Now this is where small hands and about 3 more wrist joints would be nice but, hold up pressure on the collar while (Gently) tapping the rim of the collar up with something. (I use a 5/8 closed end wrench) but anything you can fit and swing in there. I tap (while holding up pressure) the right, left and front edge of the lip and then rotate the chuck and repeat the process.

You may have to do this several times but if you feel it start to move up at all, Check the wiggle of the bit. If it's tighter, find that loose position again and push the collar back down and repeat.

Unless the setscrew is out so far that it just won't let the bit out. You should be able to free up the collar and get it out.

Chris

hotpop
02-11-2008, 10:11 AM
beta

Got to get it out! Hold the top of the bit with pliers. Wiggle and giggle the pliers while holding up the chuck and rotating it counter clock-wise.

Digitalwoodshop
02-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Chris,

As far as the slingshot..... You might be on to something..... Might be OK to do the sling shot....

AL

betacrash
02-11-2008, 03:12 PM
It came out! I made my own little "bit removal tool" by putting one of my stamped steel wrenches in a vise and bringing the width down to size. I gave it a little pry then a little spin then a pry and a spin and then I heard a click and the chuck was no longer stuck. The set screw was very loose as you can see in the picture. Any gunk you may see on the bit is a slurry of lubricants that I put on the adapter to try to get it unstuck. Another lesson learned, dont give up.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/betacrash/SANY0114.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/betacrash/SANY0113.jpg

DrBob
02-11-2008, 03:29 PM
I know this is a little late but, in my machine shop I use tapping fluid to get anything that is stuck or rusted free it usualy only takes a minute or so because it does evaporate, may take several squirts.

ChrisAlb
02-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Glad you got it beta,

But I do have a question. That bit looks awfully short. I see no shank at the top of the Collete and no shank below it. Is that an aftermarket bit or an original CW bit?? Just curious if that might be the problem with the set screw coming loose.

Digitalwoodshop
02-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I agree, that bit is strange, more like a reamer.... I always put blue thread lock on the screws.

AL

ChrisAlb
02-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Hey Al,

How ya been? I'm gearing up for a 13 hour marathon carve tomorrow morning. What's your inventory of spare parts like...LOL

I'm doing a project for a guy in NC. He wanted a replica of the Yankee stadium facade. It's 6'-6" long and 8" tall. Took me 2 days in paintshop to draw it in gray scale so all the depths were right for it to carve nice.

I'll be baby sitting this all day...lol

this is a one section test I did. his will be 6 sections. Praying for no power faliures...lol

Digitalwoodshop
02-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Good Luck, it looks good. Get in trouble let me know. 685-WOOD (9663)

AL