PDA

View Full Version : Something positive from Jim? (Alt. Material for testing)

hetzerguitars
02-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Ok, so I am still in the "beta" stage with my machine. What that means is I am running out of every scrap piece of wood in the place. So in leu of buying more wood I bought some of the pink styrophome from Home Depot. It's hard enough to cut. It measures well, and works great. So far I have not found a downside. It's great for testing my cuts.

- Jim

Kenm810
02-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Hey Jim,

Pink insulating foam, neat idea for testing designs.
I'M guessing it's closed celled styrophome like light weight SignFoam
How is the dust, is it sticking to everything like the regular SignFoam

hetzerguitars
02-12-2008, 08:16 PM
It's real tight pink insulation. It's used by artists for... well.. whatever they do. Some of my wifes sculpting friends use it. So I tried. As for the dust. More that wood, less than MDF. And no it's not sticking to anything. Real easy removal. I am actually pretty impressed. Saved me a bundle.

- Jim

www.go3d.us
02-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Yep, I've try that. Nice stuff. You don't get all the fur like wood has. However, the final piece are not very smooth. I wish they make it more dense.
This stuff also useful as pad to add thickness to a thin piece of wood that require cut through.

HT

Durtdawber
02-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Is there a certain brand or specific name for this stuff?

www.go3d.us
02-12-2008, 09:56 PM
If you go to homedepot or lowes look in the lumber section. It's a huge piece, like 4x8 or something. and it is pink at homedepot and blue at lowes. It called Foamular Insulating Sheating made by Owens Corning at homedepot.
Hope this help.
HT

The "DH"
02-13-2008, 06:11 AM
I'll be trying some out on my next project... Thanks for the tip.

castingman
02-13-2008, 07:13 AM
Great idea, how do you keep the rollers from crushing the foam? I have been trying to cast some stuff out of aluminum but i need draft, I have 1.126 which now has draft but havent used it yet. WE use foam patterns some times , the metal burns away the foam so i don't need draft.
Thanks Michael

www.go3d.us
02-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Well the roller do compress it a little bit but this foam is tough enough to withstand the pressure.
Ht