PDA

View Full Version : Dust Explosion

KevinO
02-10-2008, 09:15 AM
My new machine is on the way and I'm trying to "get my ducks in a row" before it arrives. The recent dust explosion at the sugar factory in Georgia reminded me of the danger of dust in the air. I'm planning to use my CW in the basement where the gas furnace is. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this, but is there a danger of a dust explosion when the furnace kicks on?
I am building a down draft system and plan to use a Sears 1 micron dust collection system, but I'm now a little concerned that my first carving will be a masterpiece that will be found in the charred remains of my house.
Any one care to comment?

upcedar
02-10-2008, 09:38 AM
kevin, there's no need to worry, the little dust u make isn't going to be a problem. what to chec for is static, little bugger. the test i did was, dust collection close to c/w=more static. dust collector in basement, c/w upstairs and i don't get static. a good chec for static is sawdust standing up on u'r c/w muffler. Best Rick

p.s. do-not use shopvac-please...:cool:

oldjoe
02-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Everyrthing should be okay. I run mine in basement near furnace and I don't have a down draft system. Don't do near the carving everyone else does 91 hours in 9 months if that helps any. But one thing make sure you have a good quality furnace filter in your furnace that will help out the rest of the house and keep the dust down. And the farther away from the furnace the better. And don't carve wood that has finishes on it.
Just some thoughts

sweliver
02-10-2008, 04:56 PM
as a general rule, the dust to air ratio as described by survivors is stated as, "we couldn't see further than 5 feet". That's a lot of dust. When the sugar plant scenario shakes out, you may just hear that there were several explosions in rapid succession. The last ones being most destructive.

If you're making so much dust you can't see across the room, you should be thinking about other health concerns too.

sw