PDA

View Full Version : Machine Cleaning clarification.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Hey somebody can correct me if im wrong but i wanted to share a suggestion because ive read some threads about people hooking dust collectors and shop vacs to the muffler port and using air compressors which im sure works but seems would cause more problems than it would resolve. It is my opinion and it has been done by many others before me but it seems a downdraft system is the final solution. Since installing mine i recieve little or no dust above the cutterhead and the muffler bag gets little or no dust. It seem that using an air compressor kicks up dust into the motor and circuitry and into places you dont want it. Seems more harm than good. And hooking into the muffler port sucks dust through the motor and other intricate parts. I didnt even notice it until recently but there is actually a port on the bottom of the machine. Although it is not mentioned anywhere seems intended for a downdraft port. And if not well it does a wonderful job. Just tryin to provide some positive information to improve users longevity. Heres a couple pictures, you can make one yourself in about an hour. I know im not the first to mention it but though i would make another post to share the importance of a down draft system. Of course this is just my opinion but it has worked well for me with no problems.

bjbethke
02-10-2008, 12:05 AM
If you are talking about the port that is shown on the bottom left hand photo of your post. That is the Down Draft Port. A Down Draft unit is needed, or that port gets packed with saw dust

On my Picture 012; that is all the saw dust I have in my machine after a normal carving. That can be pushed off that ledge when I change bits. If I use my large sled, I have more saw dust most of it stays on the sled.

I hooked up my Down Draft and exhaust port to my vacuum system. I blow all the dust out of my building. The exhaust port will not remove any more saw dust from the machine. The motor blower blows all that dust out of that port. The sock that was on that port had a hole in it, and it painted my wall with walnut dust, when I make my cabinet doors. That is why I run that port through my vacuum system. I want the dust out of my building. My space is only 12 X 12 feet. Works great for me.

Jeff_Birt
02-10-2008, 12:22 AM
I too think a downdraft system is the way to go. I have also added a small air blast to my machine: http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25240&postcount=17

Its main purpose is to push sawdust away from the cutting area and provide some cooling to the bit. It consists of 1/4" plastic tubing feeding a small piece of 1/16" copper tubing. I have the air regulated to abut 7 psi, so there is not a great deal of volume involved. I have not noticed any more sawdust in the motor area with its use but there is a bit more build up on the 'shelf' under the clear cover. It is pointed to push the sawdust to the back of the machine where there is open area for the down draft to suck through.

All and all they make a good combination.

Mikewiz
02-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Hey guys,

While my machine is in texas, I'm going to build my down draft table. I was wandering if a 500CFM Dust collector is suficiant enough for the down draft table. If not what do you think would be good enough.

Thanks, Mikewiz

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Hey Mike, I use a 1200 cfm dust collector with excellent results. Now it is only my opinion on this whole deal but i would think that any amount of cfm is better than none. If say a 500 cfm works well with collecting dust out of other equipment i dont see why it wouldnt work on the carvewright. Now let me say again that is only my personal opinion and the experimentation is entirely up to you.