PDA

View Full Version : Smart Machine....

Digitalwoodshop
02-09-2008, 10:14 PM
I made a double sided bear with numbers on both sides. I cut he bears on both sides .2 deep. When I loaded he 1/8 inch cutting bit it did it's thing when first installing the bit on the back side, it came up with an error, "Board too thick to cut path". I knew that was wrong as it was a .75 thick board.... I was thinking the .2 carving on the back side was removing the wood that the computer would normally leave the tabs with.... So the computer told me the only cut path error it had in memory..... But it did give me a NEW option I had never seen.... Press 1 to Quit and 2 to Continue or something to that effect.... Remember Z cut errors in the past gave the fatal error and made you shut the machine off.... loosing the work....

When it did the cut path.... on the front it went on it's merry way and I watched it and on the 3rd pass it had cut through vice the 5th.... So I stopped the machine for safety and will cut it manually. It gave that error on the back side of the board installing all the bits the first time.

Sounds like LHR needs a ID 10 Tango error code for cut paths like I tried and the computer knew better.... IDIOT.....

AL

TIMCOSBY
02-10-2008, 12:04 AM
for two sided projects is to use vectors cuts in 1" long segments leaving a 1/8" tab in between them just like cut path would do then the project would still be held together in the center of the board.

Digitalwoodshop
02-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Now that is a GREAT IDEA !!!!!!

Thanks,

AL

mtylerfl
02-10-2008, 01:36 PM
When it did the cut path.... on the front it went on it's merry way and I watched it and on the 3rd pass it had cut through vice the 5th....AL

Hello Al,

This isn't really related to the cutpath scenerio, but I see you use the term "vice" occasionally and finally got up the nerve to ask you about it!

I'm not sure what "vice" means in the context as in the sentence above. (I am only familiar with the definition of vice as being a "personal shortcoming" or "immoral issue". )

Please educate me! What does "vice" mean in your usage of the term?

Digitalwoodshop
02-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Michael,

I am really a country boy at heart and find myself using strange words in my normal conversation and do honestly get my fair share of strange looks..... After 27 countries in the Navy and a mix of basic Sign Language communications and spending some time in Italy, I picked up the habit of talking with my hands...... I am a rare bird.....

I made an interesting Electronics Instructor at Great Lakes in the 80's.... I would catch the strange looks from the students or hear "Can you explain that again Chief?" followed by confused looks....

I normally use the word "vice" in the context of "rather than" in the meaning that you could have done it this way but you did it another way.

Normally the cut path feature cuts through the bottom of the 3/4 inch board on the 5th pass. In my case with the back having a bear carving .2 deep and the cut path in the same area as the back bear it would have been trouble.

So when I said it cut through the wood on the 3rd pass, it was because of the missing wood on the back. This could have caused jamming of the bit. The Computer knew better and asked me..... I said continue..... "Yes Master".....

I am aware the word "Vice" is normally used to represent a weakness of morals or something along that line. Vice Squad comes to mind.....

Back in the 80's I would take my Navy Vacation in the summer to come home to help with the local fire department Carnival. I did the lights and wiring. I drove the ladies nuts in the kitchen.... They would ask me if I wanted a sandwich or something and I would respond" No thanks, I will pass on that" or "I will pass"..... They thought that was SO funny..... No one in this area used the word PASS in that context.... They all had a blast asking me all kinds of questions and chuckling when I would say " I will pass on that"..... In reality the correct response would have been "No Thank You"..... But NOooooo I had to be different....

Thanks for asking,

AL

Kenm810
02-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi Al

I had taken a guess what you meant but didn't have the nerve to post it until just now when you confimed it

Main Entry:
vice ver·sa
Pronunciation:
\ˌvī-si-ˈvər-sə, ˈvīs-ˈvər-\
Function:
adverb
Etymology:
Latin
Date:
1601 Vice --- rather then
: with the order changed : with the relations reversed : conversely (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conversely) http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

mtylerfl
02-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Hello AL and Ken,

Now I get it! Vice Versa - of course! (for heaven's sake - dumb me)

I was raised in Arizona, moved to Florida, and now live in Georgia. I have quite a mixture of accent influences.

My parents think I talk funny now and have unusual "sayings". The one that drives my Mom crazy is "I'm fixin' to" (she wants me to say "I'm planning to"... or "I'm preparing to"...);)