PDA

View Full Version : carving a bullnose

bizbiki
02-09-2008, 01:42 PM
I am happy to finally be able to be able to use this forum to ask an actual question on technique.

I am in the process of building a table to set up a wooden train set and want to round over the top edge in a bull nose fashion so that it is smooth for little hands. My thought is to use a 1/4 inch roundover bit then flip the board over and then repeat the process.

Question is this, do I use the edge rout function, as when I try this the cc looks to want to carve with the 1/16 bit. How do I get a round over look along the long edge of a board?

Thanks

Louie

hotpop
02-09-2008, 02:15 PM
I don't think you want to edge route both sides of your board. when you flip the board the radius might not lay on the brass roller properly also the movable guide rail is not very high.

Best bet is to use a skid. Then draw a rectangle along the edges of your board. Select the 1/4" roundover bit. Set the depth at .240 to avoid a line on the surface. Do the same on both sides. Center your board on the sled and use the center option on the machine.

Harbor Freight has a small router for less then $20. I have a couple of them and just leave them setup for edge routing it is a lot faster then fooling around with the CW.

bizbiki
02-09-2008, 02:26 PM
thanks hot pop I think you are right and Ill use the router table Its just that I have had a bunch of problems with the cc and think I finally got themsolved so I wanted to use it.

louie