PDA

View Full Version : Will the CW machine do this?

luv2smellnitro
02-09-2008, 10:23 AM
I currently make a framed display of a lay out of the United States. Since each state is made from different kinds of wood I use a scroll saw to cut them out using individual patterns as templates. I want the states to be a tight fit with no gaps. So as you can imagine this is tedious using a scroll saw. The state cut outs are 1/4" thick. I have a paper layout of the United States with all of the states outlined. My question is can I scan this and then select which state I want to cut from the layout or will I have to scan each state individually? Is there any other software or accessories I will need?
I have never used this type of machine or software before and I am thinking about buying one. I'm just trying to see if it will accomidate some of my individual needs. It looks like it will but I just want to be sure.
Thank you for your help.

TerryT
02-09-2008, 10:30 AM
There are patterns of all the states that someone posted on this site already. Just do a search. Since router bits cut round corners I'm not sure how tightly the pieces would fit together.

luv2smellnitro
02-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Thank you Terry.

Digitalwoodshop
02-09-2008, 12:31 PM
What you would need to do is scan the state image and bring the picture into the Designer. I would then manually trace the state with many nodes making a complete path meaning the last node would be joined to the first node making a complexly closed path. You can Zoom in to the sides while tracing to make the resolution better.

There is automated tracing software too but I do it manually. Others will chime in with better methods... The scan picture just gives you something to trace. It's the closed path, cut path that does the work.....

Once you have a closed path you select cut path and position it on a board. The machine would make a few passes around the item to cut it out leaving tabs along the way to keep he cut out stationary. If it broke free it could jam and break the machine or bit.

1/4 inch is too thin to cut, the machine requires a 1/2 inch or better. You could double stick or hot melt glue together some 1/4 inch placing a piece of paper with glue on both sides. The paper makes for easier separation later.

Size would be a trial and error..... Like they said, rounded corners could be a problem....

Good Luck,

AL

The picture shows the tabs, they are only 1/8 of an inch thick, usually the last pass thickness.

Dan-Woodman
02-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Luv2smellnitro
If it were me , I 'd stick to the scrollsaw for this one . If you use the states patterns here or anyone for that matter , you will have to resize them,and hope they all fit together once there cutout.
Like Terry said too, router bits leave round corners on inside cuts.
Another possibility though, you could have one project of all the states together , and just have the cw outline each state with a v-bit. This would make a great "quarter"state collecter board. Seems like I might have seen one of these on here somewhere also.
On anouther subject, is your user name referring to top fuel and funny car nitro? Yea!!! 2008 starts this weekend.
later Daniel

www.go3d.us
02-10-2008, 02:06 AM
Well, this machine is a lot better than a scroll saw for one thing. It can make a clean cut. It can do what you want to do only if you know how to set it up correctly. One thing though, this machine can't carve a perfect inner square corner.
HT