PDA

View Full Version : Imported Image Question

Guan-xi
02-09-2008, 06:54 AM
I'm new to the software (and machine), so please bear with me. When importing an image into the software, I'm unable to determine how to select an area that is not square or rectangular.

I have created a .BMP image in 3rd party software. It's actual shape is triangular. When I import the image, it seems to create correctly. I can use it in a project and manipulate it like any other pattern that came with the software.

The problem is the pattern thinks it's square instead of triangular. I was expecting the software to simply outline the image during its conversion process. Instead it created a square with the image beginning in the upper left quadrant.

I want this imported pattern to be a corner. I cannot figure out how to make the pattern simply outline itself and look similar to the corner patterns that came with the software. I'm sure it will be a multi-step process which will be tedious but acceptable provided it can be re-saved as a pattern and not a project.

Also, being a newbie I cannot find a way to send the .PTN file as an example (since I can't find where the software stores the stupid thing!)

Would someone please shed some light for me?

thanks

TIMCOSBY
02-09-2008, 11:49 PM
you must erase everything outside of the triangle. in paint.net when you do this the background shows up as a checkerboard apearantly the checkerboard is transparent. also when importing the raise and lower option is suposed to do the same thing but i don't think it works well on photos or bitmaps.

TIMCOSBY
02-09-2008, 11:55 PM
in this post ..............http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1426

Dyna Rider
02-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Hi xi

What will also work is to make the area outside the Triangular area white. It will import as a square. After clicking next, under options click lower, this will remove the white area around the triangle. (Also any area within the triangle set to white). Click finish and give it a name and save it. When you place it on the board it will carve out a triangular area

Once you save the file, if you right click on it in Favorites you can then export it to a location of your choice. In version 1.126.

If this does not make any sense or doesn’t work let me know and I’ll attempt a better explanation.

Bill

Guan-xi
02-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks everyone! I was able to erase the background in my graphics software - it was tedious, but it did the job. But lowering the image upon import, saving it as a pattern, then raising it by adjusting the depth and height was much faster and easier for this particular design.

thank you both very much!