PDA

View Full Version : Not recognizing bit?

amanda0101
02-08-2008, 09:24 PM
So after 2 projects I kept getting a board error, I tried everything to clean out the sensor to no avail. Finally I took it apart very carefully, cleaned it also very carefully, and got a nice strong reading. I go to start my next project and everything is working until it tells me to load my bit. I load it in but the dojigger that comes out from the side to check the bit, (sorry I don't know the technical name for it), does not come out. The bit travels to the rollers a couple times, pops back up, and then tells me to load the same bit. Is this something I will have to send the machine back for or is it a simple problem that I can fix myself? I am pretty mechanically inclined despite the use of the word dojigger, so if it does not require a new part I would be more than happy to fix it myself. I tried searching for this problem but not knowing the name of the part and the search not letting me type the word "bit" made it difficult so I apologize if this has been previously posted.

fwharris
02-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Amanda,
The dojigger is called the "bit plate"...
There are a few things to check to fix this. The spring will collect dust in it, try blowing it out with you air compressor if you have one. Also spray some dry lube in it. Others have also use a fine grit sand paper to take any burrs off of the end of the bit plate that makes contact with cut head assembly..

About your board error, this could also be caused by your tension rollers not putting enough pressure on the board when you crank it down..

Hope this helps and thanks for support our troops...

amanda0101
02-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks, I actually just found the name of it in the PDF section. I did try the air as well as the lube. Those were my first thoughts. Like I said in my previous post I actually did fix the sensor, but had to take it out in order to clean the inside. I am thinking that I should probably put something in the gaps since there are some pretty large ones that saw dust was collecting in. I will try the sand paper but it was working fine until I disassembled the sensor from the machine, while I was very cautious is there something that could have happened to effect the bit plate by me cleaning out the sensor?

Jeff_Birt
02-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Nope, the two are unrelated. The bit plate is just spring loaded. Swing it out by hand a few times to loosen it up.

amanda0101
02-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys, I got it all fixed up and running again. I read a post where somebody said after they had cleaned out there sensor and had the CW on its back for a while the bit plate stopped working and all he had to do was flip it over a couple of times. I tried it and it worked, go figure! Thanks for the help, I really worry that the machine will stop working soon because of all the negative posts that I have read so I really appreciate the fast responses.

Jeff_Birt
02-08-2008, 10:15 PM
The best thing you can do for your machine is keep it clean. Really, really clean. The same is true even with big industrial machines. Check out January's Tips&Tricks for cleaning tips.

http://www.carvewright.com/tip20pdfs/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jan08.pdf

amanda0101
02-09-2008, 10:58 AM
I will remember that. I have been doing a quick clean up, (getting the dust out and spraying with air), after every use. I have only made a couple of projects but have about 18 hours because I had to draft about 4 of them before they started to look decent so I imagine it is time for some lube on the flex shaft and a good cleaning. That link is not working and I wasn't able to find it in search but I will keep looking because it sounds like I should read it over. I will also check out the PDFs.

pkunk
02-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Go here Amanda. http://www.carvewright.com/tips.html (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/../tips.html)

mtylerfl
02-09-2008, 01:24 PM
I will remember that. I have been doing a quick clean up, (getting the dust out and spraying with air), after every use. I have only made a couple of projects but have about 18 hours because I had to draft about 4 of them before they started to look decent so I imagine it is time for some lube on the flex shaft and a good cleaning. That link is not working and I wasn't able to find it in search but I will keep looking because it sounds like I should read it over. I will also check out the PDFs.

Hello Amanda,

We also keep copies of all the Tips & Tricks Newsletters at our website in our Learning Center section http://www.carvebuddy.com/learning_center.html in case you ever need to download any of them.
(The Jan. ' 08 issue is a "must read" for all users wanting to learn how to maintain their machines in good working order.)

Be sure you get on the CarveWright email list. Sign up at the CarveWright Home Page http://www.carvewright.com/index.html where it says "Join Our Mailing List" in the lower right-hand corner of the page. That way you'll get the newsletters emailed to you automatically each month.

amanda0101
02-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Thanks everyone, I will check that out right away. It's only been a week and I already love the CW, I was really bummed last night when I thought that I couldn't start my next project. I want to make sure I keep it running smoothly for as long as I can.