PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating bit

dougmsbbs
02-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Do we have to use the LHR bit to calibrate the machine? How would the machine know the difference?
I tried it with a bit bought local, and it won't finish the calibration. It does it's thing, but in the end it tells me to 'check board sensor', and stops.
Any thoughts?

Jeff_Birt
02-08-2008, 04:44 PM
I believe that they specify theCW bit as the calibration routine expects a bit of that exact size and depth of cut. ALso, make sure you clean your board sensor before calibrating and use a good piece of wood.

dougmsbbs
02-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks, Jeff.
I'll get one on order...

Dan-Woodman
02-08-2008, 05:10 PM
I use a 3/8" spiral endmill,woodworking that is. seems to work fine for me . I think a metalworking spiral endmill is cut at more close tollerances than the woodworking ones.
later Daniel

Deolman
03-31-2008, 07:50 PM
I just went to the CarveWright Store and the only 3/8" bit I could find was the 3/8" bit in the bit section. It was defined as "3/8" Diameter Straight Bit, 1.25" LOC, 1/2" Shank" but said nothing in regards to calibration. Is this in fact the calibration bit? If not, where do I find the calibration bit?

Mikewiz
03-31-2008, 07:52 PM
I just went to the CarveWright Store and the only 3/8" bit I could find was the 3/8" bit in the bit section. It was defined as "3/8" Diameter Straight Bit, 1.25" LOC, 1/2" Shank" but said nothing in regards to calibration. Is this in fact the calibration bit? If not, where do I find the calibration bit?

Hey,

the 3/8" bit is the calibration bit.

Mike

Deolman
03-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Thank you very much. I now have it on order.

jlitz
03-31-2008, 10:44 PM
I've never been able to run 'calibrate offsets' on my compucarve since day 1 (been almost 18 months).

I always receive a 'check board sensor' error despite correct roller pressure, very good board sensor readings, excellent wood, etc. Given all the board measurements and XYZ carved measurements have been fairly accurate, I ceased to care about resolving it.

David Myers
04-01-2008, 06:33 AM
I have run the calibration routine many times using the 3/8" bit from LHR. I have not had an error or have seen any changes? So I'm unsure as to what this does to the machines presets? Can someone elaborate as to what happens when you run the calibration routine?

David

DocWheeler
04-01-2008, 07:51 AM
David,

Here is my understanding - for what its worth.

The board edge sensor (under the Y truck) may not know its position relative to the center of the bit. This could be from never being calibrated, a new sensor, or something else going on with the sensor.
When it creates a cut in the X direction, it is able to determine its Y position relative to the bit by reading where it finds the edge. And, when it carves the slot in the Y direction,it can calculate its X position relative to the bit center (it compensates for the 3/16" difference - center to edge of the bit).

Pretty cool!!

David Myers
04-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Doc,

Thanks, I just watched it cut the slots in the board in the x and y dimensions then go to the sides and do the same, I guess that it was calibrating itself to the sensor.
That makes a little more sense.

David

bobinhouston
11-09-2008, 04:38 PM
I am attempting to cut a circle 2 7/16 inch in diameter and a depth of .688 using a carve region. The idea is to not cut all the way thru but cut out a space similar to what you might do when cutting out a door knob hole. Only difference I don't want to go all the way through.
Problem is the machine cuts it 2 9/16" in diameter.
Any idea on why the machine would not carve the size I request.????
Any comments would be appreciated.
BTW - when I UPLOAD the project I say 'NORMAL' instead of 'BEST' since I don't think that should make a difference with a simple circle.
Reason I am doing this is to mount a clock in circle but the circle keeps coming out too big.
:confused::(

Amonaug
11-09-2008, 04:50 PM
I am attempting to cut a circle 2 7/16 inch in diameter and a depth of .688 using a carve region. The idea is to not cut all the way thru but cut out a space similar to what you might do when cutting out a door knob hole. Only difference I don't want to go all the way through.
Problem is the machine cuts it 2 9/16" in diameter.
Any idea on why the machine would not carve the size I request.????
Any comments would be appreciated.
BTW - when I UPLOAD the project I say 'NORMAL' instead of 'BEST' since I don't think that should make a difference with a simple circle.
Reason I am doing this is to mount a clock in circle but the circle keeps coming out too big.
:confused::(

You have to account for the radius of the carving bit. Also the bit is tapered so the deeper you carve with it the wider the area it's going to carve out.

Instead you can try using paths and using 3/8" straight bit ot even the 1/8" cutting bit to carve out the area then you will get verticle sides and not tapered sides.

Dan-Woodman
11-09-2008, 07:27 PM
You could also cut a circle , then use the spiral feature to cut the middle of the circle.
later Daniel

Deolman
11-09-2008, 07:38 PM
When I ordered a 3/8" bit, it came without the adapter. Can anyone tell me how to set it up in the adapter? Is the length critical or does it matter?

Dan-Woodman
11-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Pictures and illustration is in the manual.
later Daniel

Deolman
11-10-2008, 11:33 AM
I have looked at the pictures in the manual. The 3/8" bit is not shown and dimensions are not given. I have set up some v-bits the way the illustrations show and they work fine for me. I was just wondering if the 3/8" is more critical in the way it is set up because it will be used in a calibration procedure.

DocWheeler
11-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Deolman,

I'm probably talking when I should be listening, but...
Since the length of the bit does not enter into the calibration process, I do not think it matters.
However, the closer the end of the bit is to the bearings supporting it - the less stress and run-out you will get.
So, I set my bits as high as possible while assuring that there is clearance inside the QC.
My two cents.

wooden nickel
11-10-2008, 01:23 PM
As I remember reading somewhere it said to keep1/8 inch between top of bit and holder.
wooden nickel

Amonaug
11-10-2008, 02:28 PM
I have looked at the pictures in the manual. The 3/8" bit is not shown and dimensions are not given. I have set up some v-bits the way the illustrations show and they work fine for me. I was just wondering if the 3/8" is more critical in the way it is set up because it will be used in a calibration procedure.

Page 42, figure 31 shows exactly how to assemble a 1/2" shank bit.