PDA

View Full Version : So Stupid It Hurts!

Ken Massingale
02-08-2008, 03:43 PM
So I ordered and received the 60 and 90 degree bits and adapters. I installed the bits in the adapters Wednesday evening and applied the Locktite, to wait 24 hours for curing. I didn't get to try them last night due to the missus needing 3 pens turned on the lathe.
So today is the big day I get to use them with Centerline.
I take my several projects I have been anticipating on the card out to the shop and start to install the 60 degree bit. The darn thing won't lock in! After several minutes of struggling and cussing a bit I decided to compare them to the carving bit to see how Carvewright had screwed up by sending me something that doesn't work!:mad:

Well, guess what!

I had installed the bits in the adapters bass-ackwards.....:oops:

So now I wait another 24 hours, oh well.......

Kenm810
02-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Ken,

I really thought for a minute of posting a photo of someone trying to load up a backward bit and adapter into their machine.
But quickly changed my mind, I don't want to be accused of adding any more to the confusion around here.
They'll have to use their own imaginations for that one. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

hotpop
02-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Been there, done that!

swhitney
02-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Hi... My name is Scott, and I have done this too.... (is this one of the steps in the process to recovery???)

pkunk
02-08-2008, 05:37 PM
If it's any consolation, I've done it several times. :rolleyes: I don't have the patience to wait 24 hrs, so I use 'em right away. No ill effects.:p

Digitalwoodshop
02-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Hi,

My name is AL. It has been 93 days since I installed a bit holder backwards.

HELLO AL !!!

:)

Ron
02-08-2008, 08:23 PM
my name is Ron, i admit I have a problem ive did it also

John
02-08-2008, 09:08 PM
I always thought that "user error" was a little over the top on this forum. After reading this thread......may have to change my thinking.

badger
02-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Almost sounds like an AA meeting in here.

Welcome to BBI and what is your name.

Hi my names Tom and Im a Backward Bit Installer.....everyone yells hi tom.

:cool:

TerryT
02-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Yep, me too. But only once, I swear!!

swhitney
02-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Yep, me too. But only once, I swear!!

Yeah right... and I can quit the CarveWright at any time..... :)

Lin
02-09-2008, 08:44 AM
I just want to thank all of you for the giggles...I have not done it yet..maybe cause I"m a leftie and already a bit backwards....lol
But now if I do make that error..I will not feel bad....
Lin

Bubbabear
02-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Well here is where I come in and play Bill Engval " here's your sign " and my other favorite of his is " you cant fix stupid " :p :) :D sorry i just couldnt resist and i am sure if i ever get back to playing with mine now that my body is about back to 90% from surgery I will be saying heres yaa sign to me. matter a fact think my next to door hanger signs for the shop will be heres your sign and you cant fix stupid

Digitalwoodshop
02-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Speaking of BITS..... I walked in the shop one cold morning and look in the machine and the V90 was sitting on the sand paper belts..... I had cut a bunch of signs the night before and when the bit cooled it shrunk enough to just drop out of the bit holder..... Was a bear getting the empty bit holder out of the QC.....

Hi,

My name is AL and it has been 94 days since I BBI......

HELLO AL......

lviele
02-09-2008, 05:38 PM
so what am I doing wrong, seeing you know all about bits thought you might help. carved out seveal patterns with no problem. I then tried to put a1/8" wide by 1/4" deep slot around a pattern. Installed the bit just as i did with the carving bit checked on the bit to be sure it was in solid. when the bit started to cut the adapter came out and the bit broke.will I obvioysly did something wrong so I ordered another 1/8 bit, it did the same thing.What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to tell if the adpter is in right?

hotpop
02-09-2008, 06:17 PM
lviele

It happen to me too a couple of months ago.

Get a mirror and look into the chuck for dirt/chips. Especially look for accumulation of stuff where the adapter setscrews engage. Pick out the dirt or use a an old tooth brush to clean the slots.

Check for any broken edges of the metal taper.

Make sure the outer sleeve lifts and snaps down freely. A couple of drops of 3in1 on the top of the sleeve might help.

If none of this works you probably need a new chuck from LHR. $30+ shipping.