PDA

View Full Version : Centerline Text in a Carve Region?

cnsranch
02-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Apparently you can't use Centerline Text within a Carve Region - if I'm wrong, let me know. If I'm right, can you help me understand why?

Ken Massingale
02-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Search for 'centerline", here's one thread.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5163&highlight=centerline

ken

cnsranch
02-08-2008, 11:26 AM
The thread you sent makes sense, but this sure seems like a simple fix.

bjbethke
02-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Centerline will only carve on the suffice of the board
I use a PTN I call “Disk” to carve in the Carve Region.

The machine is carving, but the bit is in mid air.

cnsranch
02-08-2008, 11:44 AM
You lost me - sorry.

I'm a little dense today - I see your disk on the mpc, and carving on the disk and around the carve region, but how does that translate into lettering in the region itself?

Again, sorry for the thick head.

bjbethke
02-08-2008, 12:13 PM
It bring the carve region back to the suffice where you want to set your centerline or outline type. You can use any shape PTN for this. Raster is the only style you can place type in the carve region, It uses the carving bit. The other two styles use a v groove bit and you need a suffice to carve to. You can use another MPC to change your suffice.

dwbox
02-08-2008, 01:50 PM
You lost me - sorry.

I'm a little dense today - I see your disk on the mpc, and carving on the disk and around the carve region, but how does that translate into lettering in the region itself?

Again, sorry for the thick head.

It doesn't. I believe what he's doing is placing another shape into the carve region so that shape does not actually carve out. Then the centerline will carve text on that shape. Basically, this is a compensation for the fact that centerline will not carve in a carve region, only on the surface.

I had a project where I REALLY wanted centerline text within the carve region of a picture frame carve out. Here's what I did.

1. Set the depth of the carve region to .4"
2. Carved the entire project, including the above mentioned carve region
3. Carved my centerline text onto a piece of .25 inch red oak, and the let the machine cut out the piece of red oak to the exact same size as the carve region in item 1
4. Glued the piece in from number 3 into the carve region from number 1, and I was off! Now, I had centerline text BELOW the surface of the project!

Since the primary piece was from poplar, it was obvious what I did, and worked well in this case. However, I think if I had cut both pieces from poplar, it would have been difficult to tell the difference.

cnsranch
02-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Sorry, don't know how to attach a thread...

In that thread, Dan-Woodman says on 11/26/07 to basically make two mpc's. I've been playing with his suggestion as follows:

My original project has raster text in the carve region. So, I save the project with another name, then delete all of the ptns and the carve region leaving only the raster text boxes. Then, change those to centerline. Finally, go to the original mpc and delete all the raster text boxes. Now I have two programs - one with text and the other without. The plan would be to carve the first project, and then when it's done immediately carve the second with Dan's suggestion to jog the bit to the depth of the carve region.

Makes sense, really wouldn't take that much additional time since the centerline text is carved last in a project anyway.

What do you think? Trick is probably to make sure your centerline text isn't going to carve deeper than the remaining stock in the carve region.

Digitalwoodshop
02-09-2008, 09:46 AM
I have been putting centerline numbers in a raster bear. I was limited in depth of the bear because the text would disappear. I need to try the manual bit position trick when the V90 is depth checking....

Thanks for the tip,

AL