PDA

View Full Version : Probe Attempts to Spin

Mike Walker
02-07-2008, 09:10 AM
The other day I was starting a scan when the machine head attempted to spin with my probe mounted in it and hooked up properly to the connector on the left side of the inner wall of the machine. What it did was spin the cable to the back side and attempt to go down to sense the material. When this occurred the cable connection to the probe head was damaged. Being fairly handy with electrical, I repaired the connection and continued with my scan succsessfully. Has anyone else had this happen?:(

Jeff_Birt
02-07-2008, 09:22 AM
I have had this happen once or twice before. I always unplug the flex shaft when doing a scan. This not only eliminates the situation you had but it also prevents the pivoting motion of the flex shaft (it pivots at the 'top hat' as the Y-axis moves F-R) from inducing defects into the scan.

Reset
02-07-2008, 09:22 AM
It's happened before... :(

Simply remove the flex cable from the top of the z-truck while scanning, and it won't happen again. :)

Tommy

yatrgatr
02-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Happened to me also. spun the cable, ripped it out of the scan probe and then burried the scan probe into the piece bending the tip. CW replaced the scan probe. only tried it once sence.

Semper Fi
02-07-2008, 08:22 PM
I also had this happen to me, but not since I went to 1.125 or 1.126. Jeff makes a good point about removing the cable........... next time I have a probe job, I'm going to try that.

newcarver
02-08-2008, 05:50 AM
I installed a cut motor toggle switch, cutting power to the cut motor, had it spinning when i was changing a bit after i'd close the cover, it would spin a revolution or 2 without doing anything else to it, so out with the the stock switch and in with mine. Yes i did try a new switch first also and the issue persisted. Now i just flip the toggle switch when changing bits or using the probe.