PDA

View Full Version : Scared to say yes.....

IM2HAPPI
02-07-2008, 08:54 AM
I had an offer proposed to me yesterday and wanted to know what you all thought. I was asked if I would consider doing lithopanes with pictures like this from Dow Chemical here in Midland. I have yet to carve a lithopane and scared silly to say yes but it would be a very profitable deal. I sent the carvewright site to a Dept manager and was told there could be many orders. Do you think detail would show up on lithopanes ?

Gunner
02-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Try doing one on your own. That is the one way that you will know what works for you. I always do a test pattern for my customers approval.

Gunner

deemon328
02-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Yep, I second the try it first notion. I know I'd hate to place myself into a position where I said I'd do something then couldn't work it out.

IM2HAPPI
02-10-2008, 02:14 AM
I stopped at local cabinet/countertop business and got a piece of corian to give it a try. They gave it to me and said bring it down when your done because we would like to take a look at it. They said they had someone else do one and it wasnt clean and crisp looking by any means. They were using another type of a more expensive cnc machine. They also asked if they approved of quality would we be interested in doing some extra business from them. Geesh maybe I need another machine. Not only not doing one as of yet my fear of breakdown is always in back of my mind. Thanks Mitch for that offer and Im saving your email address. Backup is a great mind reliever.
Barb
PS I'll practice also with cabinet maker logo and carve a small one for them as a thank you. They mentioned another product thats looks like corian but half the price. Im thinking she said magnalite or something like that. Tried to find it but maybe misheard her. Does anyone know what that was ?

deemon328
02-10-2008, 07:27 AM
There are many different brands of solid surface now that Dupont's patent has run out. I only remember a few, such as Avonite, LG Himacs and Staron. Avonite has a translucent product that is just stellar, and I'd love to see if something like that would make a good lithopane. It's hella-pricey from what they say though.

pilotcreek
02-10-2008, 09:16 AM
There are many different brands of solid surface now that Dupont's patent has run out. I only remember a few, such as Avonite, LG Himacs and Staron. Avonite has a translucent product that is just stellar, and I'd love to see if something like that would make a good lithopane. It's hella-pricey from what they say though.

Here is another option that might be a little eaiser on your bits, it is also pricey and I am not too sure if the wood grain would let you show detail.

Bill
www.enhancedwood.com