PDA

View Full Version : First Time Lube for shaft

zman
02-06-2008, 02:10 PM
I just got my CW and removed the shaft like instructions said. I bought the Gunk Lube with Moly. I shot about 3 quick sprays into each end and it is now sitting like told to do. It that enough lube to start with? I set it up so lube would run down shaft and now just flipped it to run it back the other way so excess would run out the end. Any thoughts

Thanks
Zman

Jeff_Birt
02-06-2008, 02:21 PM
You DID NOT follow the instructions! (not being mean, I don't want you to damage your machine). You need to pull the braided metal piece OUT OF the flex shaft housing (rubber 'tube' piece). DO NOT squirt any lubrication into the flex shaft housing.

zman
02-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Thank You for the info, I was just rereading the instructions and for me the dummy I did not read betreen the lines to remove the inter shaft from teh rubber harness. Here is what I read and followed.
Now before you run your machine Please check the Flex-Shaft for proper lubrication. Liquid Wrench - Gunk L716 Industrial Chain Lubricant with Moly is recommended. Some of the machines have come through with no lube or insufficient lube on the Flex-Shaft. Which can result in damage to the Flex-Shaft and possibly the Machine, and remember to wipe off any excess Moly lube on the Flex-Shaft, also let it drip dry for a while before reinstalling it in the machine. You really don't want any exess lube to get into the carving head bearings and causing problems.
Do a forum Search on the proper flex-shaft lube and how to do it along with the other locations and parts of the machine that will need proper lubrications.

Thanks
Zman

Jeff_Birt
02-06-2008, 03:14 PM
NP, I just hate to see folks cause themselves problems. Even though I should have known better I have over-lubed the flex shaft myself and toasted my top spindle bearing. I just hope to keep other from doing the same.

zman
02-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Took the inner shaft out and lubed, let it set and wiped off the excess lube. I also turned the black rubber part so the excess I shot in there would run out. I even gave it some light shakes. I hope I got all out. I even installed the inner shaft and moved it back and forth removed it and it did not look like there was any excess on the inner shaft.
Thanks Again
Zman

Jeff_Birt
02-06-2008, 03:35 PM
After running you machine for 15-20 minutes, remove the flex-shaft from the Z-truck and take off the 'top-hat' (two screws). Take a rag and mop up any excess lube that has leaked down there.

zman
02-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks Again I am learning. I will keep you posted how it all goes. I will aslo keep an eye on the temp of the shaft.

Zman

zman
02-06-2008, 04:39 PM
I have another question. I am at the point of inserting a bit. It tell me to **** the quick release chuck. I have tried to push up on the chuck flange and it goes up but then comes back down. I can not get the bit in using the tool. Is the chuck suppose to stay in the up position? If so it is not. Any ideas

Zman

Dan-Woodman
02-06-2008, 05:02 PM
ZMAN
If your refering to the tool that you remove the bit with , that will not work for inserting a bit. What I do is pull the chuck up with one hand and insert bit with the other and then let the chuck down. It should snap in place. Then wiggle the bit to make sure it's seated.
later Daniel

jspeedy33
02-27-2008, 08:02 PM
So Jeff, are those screws in the top hat set in with loc-tite? One came out pretty easily, and the other is tight, tight - I'm afraid to try too much - don't want to strip the screw, and don't want to put the head in a bind. Any suggestions?

John

Jeff_Birt
02-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Mine were not loctited in. I seem to remember that the screws have lock washers though.