PDA

View Full Version : Possible RPM sensor?

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-05-2008, 09:08 PM
My question is, it seems like 5 to 6 minutes into my carvings the motor speeds up and stays that way throughout the carving. Is that a problem with the RPM or the motor warming up or just the way it is supposed to run? Thanks.

Digitalwoodshop
02-05-2008, 10:10 PM
You can use the Sensor Check to check the RPM sensor I believe.... Been a while since I used my machine.... If the Magnet is OK then you will see pulses on the sensor check. It the Magnet has left the armature you will see it here with the sensor check.

I found that a plugged dust muffler will cause the RPM to speed up.....

And I have heard it speed up for no reason......

Order a set of Cut Motor Brushes for the 150 - 200 hour mark..... If the springs get to the commutator you get to buy a new bit and brushes and motor. I had a brush hang up only being 1/4 inch long and worn. It cost me a Bit plus the brushes....

Pay me now or pay me MORE later....

AL

02-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the information digital. You are always very knowledgeable and articulate in your answers and are greatly appreciated with your help. I think one of these solutions will solve my problem i will check it all out first thing in the morning. "The learning curve is getting smaller":cool:

jwhllh55
02-06-2008, 02:01 AM
My new machine is doing the same thing. About six minutes into a craving the motor speeds up for no reason. The muffler is clear and I know the machine has less than 20 hours on it. I'm using 1.26 and the cravings are very good. The question is, is the machine going bad or is it doing what it was designed to do?
This is my second machine and I don't remember is my other machine ever did this. I use it for scanning now.
John Hammett

TurkeyBranch
02-06-2008, 05:48 AM
My machine got the check cut motor error. Then they sent me a new motor. It goes into the cut 5 to 10 minutes then sounds like it almost doubles in speed. I just let it go. I am NOT saying that is the right thing to do. But I called about it and never got a "reasonable" response so I just left it alone.

Would like to know what is wrong though. Is it running slow in the begining then kicks in to the right speed or is it kicking up way to fast after runing for a few minutes at the right speed?

Ed

The "DH"
02-06-2008, 06:23 AM
I'm curious if anybody knows if the type and amount of lubricant used plays a part in this!!!! I would think that certain types of lubricant once they reach a certain temperature can possibly interfere with the sensor or the electromagnetic field of the magnet… Just a thought.

DrBob
02-06-2008, 06:55 AM
If you check with LHR I would think this is a motor warm up period, mine has done this from new with no ill effects.

02-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Sounds like im not alone with the motor speeding up for no reason, so my guess would be maybe it is a warm up as another gentleman had said or maybe its the flex shaft warming up or whatever. Now i am on my second machine and both my machines performed the same way, it just doesnt seem right to me that it does that for no reason. I think ill start a log of temperatures and the time between motor changes and see if i can come up with a diagnosis to see if this consistent.

02-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Ahhh just thought of another idea, im going to see if i can set up a infared tachometer of some sort which should be simple and see what readings i come up with. Will post those results when i come up with them.