PDA

View Full Version : How is reliability on newer machines ?

benluz
02-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Hello, I've been away from the forum for a while learning g-code and other various aspects of operating a CNC, since the carvewright gave me the bug and I purchased a shopsabre with a tool changer and other upgrades.I was curios to how the newer carvewright machines have been performing. I've always been a carvewright supporter and always will be. I realize now the difficulties in bringing a unit like this to the masses, and how safety would play a big roll in the design. I had to get a special rider to my general liability policy to cover anyone who might get injured from my new cnc, since they basically come with minimal safety devices.Just curios on anyones thoughts.
Thanks,
Ben

DocWheeler
02-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Ben,

We have not heard from you in awhile, good to see your post.
Since my machine is a year old I normally would not respond to questions about a NEW machine.
But, I had mine serviced a month or so ago and it came back with so many new parts that it had a different personality, so I guess it is a New machine.
Changes to the software, cut-motor (magnet area), Z-truck and electronics, firmware, and things I haven't even found yet. LHR is doing a good job of trying to fix the weak points.
I doubt that this answers your question, but it might give you an idea about the amount of changes.

The "DH"
02-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Hello,
I purchased my second machine four months ago and it is getting near the 200 hour make without a hicup!!! I just finished a 5 hour single project with it yesterday... It is night and day between my over a year old machine and my new one... Although I've rebuilt my older over the last month with newer parts and fewer problems.

benluz
02-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Well 200 hours with no Major problems is a big improvement !
Doc, Do you know what parts they put on yours ?
Doc, Glad you remembered me !
The original encoder were one of the weak points, it was a modular type that can be stuck on the back of most little dc motors and the light weight design does not lend itself to cnc applications where a lot of vibration occurs, one of the other weak area was the little plastic window on the board sensor, I actually took mine out because the dust got in behind the lens and that was after sealing around the edges of the circuit board with silicone. It seems a good design in dust collection would go a long way in preventing some of the problems . LHR Seems to always be searching for solutions, when I called them to let them know I did some research on encoders and one of the leading encoder companies in the USA had told me that a modular encoder was not meant to used on a cnc.Chris R. already had new prototypes sitting on his desk.

I cut my first cabinet parts the other day, up until this point I had been learning the software and doing things like we did on the Cw.I can cut a 4 x 8 sheet of cabinet sides with dado joints and shelf pin holes, stretchers,hanging rails and other various parts nested on a sheet where it fits as much as it can with as little waste as possible in about 9 minutes.
It took me a while to be able to do the same designs as we did with the cw .The designer program made it so easy, then to be using software where you had control over every little aspect of machining was a little overwhelming at first but I can do it now.
Well , glad to see you guys still are making the chips fly !
Ben

Digitalwoodshop
02-05-2008, 06:18 PM
I didn't know the Z Encoder is NEW...... Thanks,

AL

benluz
02-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Hello, I saw a picture of one on the forum here somewhere and the back of the motor where the black plastic piece covers the encoder is definitely different looking, shorter, As to what changes inside they made I do not know. I believe the encoder they used was a proprietary design, so they may have kept that design and beefed up some of the internal parts that were breaking due to vibration, since going with an outsourced model certainly would be more expensive, but they were looking at doing that at one time.Since the x and y encoders were holding up pretty good and it was the z-encoder that was having the highest failure rate they they may have opted for some minor changes to the outside, because the back of the unit there was 0 clearance between the encode cover and the back of the machine, then some upgrades to the encoder itself to handle the vibration better,heavier wire to the optical disc reader ,also back filling the cavity on the reader to dampen vibration is one thing they started doing early on. I have not seen the new ones close up ,but I'm very familiar with the originals I repaired several myself ,another thing that would happen is the metal sleeve that fits around the whole unit would become loose and there is a round plastic disc that goes between the motor and the encoder circuit board and the vibration against the plastic would coat the inside with a back dust, that would get all over the clear encoder disc that has the black lines on it,the line are what it counts to know what the position of the head is.I used a regular band type hose clamp around the unit Stopped the black dust problem.
Ben

larry711
02-06-2008, 07:26 AM
my cw is only a couple months old with 8 hours on it. and in the shop to replace the board sensor cable.but i would never let it go. even new cars have recals. overall it is a good machine worth every penny.

Digitalwoodshop
02-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Here are some pictures... Should have popped the top off the new one.....

AL

benluz
02-06-2008, 01:36 PM
yes, that's it. Al , did you just get a replacement for the older one. I wonder how the encoder looks compared to the older ones ?
Ben

Digitalwoodshop
02-07-2008, 02:04 PM
yes, that's it. Al , did you just get a replacement for the older one. I wonder how the encoder looks compared to the older ones ?
Ben

That was when I ordered the new Z Bundle and never thought to look under the cover of the replacement motor..... Asleep at the switch....

AL

fwharris
02-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Al,
I noticed your pics of the old and new z pak. Is there an advantage with the new one? I have the old one and I have had to tape/glue the black plastic cover on as it keeps falling off. I see that the new one is screwed on. Also, the screw with the spring does rub on the cover. Since I am still a new user (sept 07) would it be a good thing to have it updated?

benluz
02-08-2008, 12:00 PM
No real, advantage as long as your is working. It' not like it will super charge the machine and do great new things, just more reliable. If yours is still under warranty ,you would have to have a failure to get a free one.,But you can buy a spare kit for around 40.00 I believe.If I were using the machine for business purposes,I would have a spare.
Ben