PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the Dust Down

zman
02-05-2008, 05:44 AM
I am in the process of setting up my basement for my new carvewright. I have seen and read alot of the forums on dowmdrafts and have built a 24 X 24 table for my machine. My concern is the dust and mess it will create. I went to Menard and seen they have a couple of dust collecters. Is this something I need to be thinking about? And is there a better one then another? The table I made is the measurements from one of the people on these forums as to adapt a downdraft to it. Is there anything else out there I should be looking at as I do want to keep the mess in check.

Thanks
Zman

Gunner
02-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Delta makes a nice unit 650cfm for about $222.00. Comes with a 5' hose.So you might want to get an extension hose.
Otherwise there are a few plans in the forum for building your own downdraft setup.

Gunner

oldjoe
02-05-2008, 06:56 AM
I would guess you get what you pay for holds true for DC's. I have my machine in the basement although I don't do a lot of carving and never use MDF I don't use a downdraft. I know I'm bad but since I am in the basement and my typical carve only runs for about 30 minutes or so I didn't feel I need one at this time. The reasoning for my thinking is the noise. I am not sure how much noise they produce. The other factor is the space they take up I don't have a lot of room either.
A DC is on my list of things to add and my stand is made to accept a down draft but for now I just do with out.
Which one are you looking at at Menards. They use to have a small portable model but I don't see it anymore.

Kenm810
02-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Hi Zman,

The different Down Draft Systems really seem to be the way to go in helping to control most of the dust and chips produced by the CW and CC Carvers.
One thing everyone might want to think about is, when you use the machine in the basement or any other place in side your home. Is the possibility of the fine dust that may bypass or be missed by your Dust and Chip Collection System. If you happen to have a forced air furnace or central air conditioning system that uses a blower motor to circulate air through your home. It will transport the dust to every room in your house, so a top notch furnace filter might be a good idea. Remember the fine dust from MDF and Pressure Treated Lumber and a few other similar products have been written up as know health hazards, especially around any young or elderly folks in your home.

Carve Safe

DocWheeler
02-05-2008, 09:31 AM
As Kenm810 said, it pays to reduce the fine dust. I installed an ambient air cleaner on the ceiling of my basement shop and it made quite a difference.
I think it is well worth the couple of hundred bucks for health and maintenance reasons.
Mine has a remote that is very handy.

Kenm810
02-05-2008, 10:20 AM
This is just one of many Air filtration Systems on the market
It's a small remote unit similar to the large units we use in our shops
I just found this one at WoodWorking with a rebate,
there are even smaller bench top models available to save room if you want.

Jet Air Filtration System
REBATE OFFER - For an even better deal, take advantage of this rebate

· Buy Select JET Tools and Receive $25 by Mail-In Rebate! (http://www.woodcraft.com/rebates/JetRebateForm.pdf)
The Jet 3-speed Air Filtration Systems clean and circulate the air in your shop while you work, filtering 98-99% of all particles, five microns in size and 85% of particles one micron in size. And with the timer, you come into your shop, set the timer for two, four or eight hours and forget it. The system automatically shuts down at the time you can set.

Jet Air Filtration System, Model AFS-1000B
Model AFS-1000B is 1044 CFM and has 3 speed: 550, 702 and 1044 CFM. The AFS-1000B can filter the air in a 20' x 20' x 8' shop in under five minutes, and filter the air in that size shop a dozen times an hour.
#815488 Price:$229.99

Payments as low as $10/mo.Select Bill Me Later® at checkout.

DocWheeler
02-05-2008, 10:56 AM
That's the one I bought, get it at http://www.amazon.com/JET-708620B-Filtration-Electrostatic-Pre-Filter/dp/B00004R9LO for about $205.

zman
02-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks to all for lots of good advice. I will check into the air filters.

Thanks
Zman

Ken Massingale
02-05-2008, 01:56 PM
I've had the Jet ASF-1000B for a couple of years. It makes a big difference in the shop. The timer is useful as well.