PDA

View Full Version : Wood knots?

www.go3d.us
02-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I tried to avoid piece of wood with wood knots so my question is: How well does the CW machine handle those wood knots?
Thanks.
HT

oldjoe
02-04-2008, 11:32 AM
I have carved into them with no effect on the machine. They were small ones in pine and they were tight so they won't fly out when the bit went accross them. Kind of added to the carve.

bjbethke
02-04-2008, 01:29 PM
I have had knots come loose in my planer. They make a lot of noise. I think if they come loose in the CW they would do some damage. When I route through knots in cedar smoke comes from the knots when I route through them.

I carved this MPC last night. It had two knots in it. Worked OK, but the knots were not loose.

I used one of your PTN’s to carve this. Thanks for the post.

Jeff_Birt
02-04-2008, 01:34 PM
When I have knots on a piece of wood that I would like to avoid I create a board of the same overall dimensions in Designer. Then measure the location and size of the knots on the actual board. Next, I use the circle tool in Designer to mark the areas of my 'virtual' board where the knots are. Finally, I am able to position the pieces I want to carve around the 'vitual' knots in Designer. If you leave 3.5" of empty area on your virtual board in Designer then you just run it by selecting to not stay under rollers on the machine. Due to the empty 3.5" on each end of our virtual board in Designer the actual board will stay under the rollers anyhow.

rmacke
02-04-2008, 08:34 PM
What I have done on knots that are loose or might be loose is , put a drop of epoxy glue on it ..
My worry would be that the knot would fall down into the belt area and tear them.

rmacke

pkunk
02-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Exactly rmacke. Tight knots pose no problems & I think they amaze people when they see a carving with a knot in it. "How did you manage to carve through a knot?" My new planer with the shelix cutterhead will not knock a knot loose.:p It is so nice to be able to plane those knarly pieces of wood.;)