PDA

View Full Version : centering problem--also need to copy/paste part of image down length of board

Trader Howland
02-03-2008, 10:59 PM
New kid on the block here--first time poster/long time lurker/never (yet) a CC user...oh, and search function fanatic!. Quick intro: I ordered and received my machine last fall (Sept-Oct). Machine is still boxed until my shop/garage is complete and weatherproof (gimme 2 weeks). Just started messing with the software a few weeks ago.

Started out playing with a design that I ended up liking and want to finish and eventually carve. It will be a type of molding with an image created in the designer software that I need to repeat down the length of the board, which I have set to 3.5 x 72", I think.

I can copy/paste, but when the copy is pasted, it just ends up placed randomly anywhere on the board. I use Adobe Illustrator alot in my job and I know you can select an item or group and while holding down the option key (Mac) to copy--then drag item or group to left or right (down length) and if you're holding the shift key, the item/group will stay in the same path as item/group being copied--i.e., not wavering between higher or lower than original copied item. geez, I hope that made sense. If it did, is there any way to do this in the designer software--as opposed to copy/paste--item ends up where-ever.

I was thinking it may have something to do with the way I created the image. I only used combinations of the spline tool and the arc tool. When I try to center the image vertically--well, weird things happen to it--some parts end up not where they're supposed to. I thought if I could get image to center properly, I could copy/paste/center vertically and drag into position--what can I do? Thanks for any input.

hotpop
02-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Welcome to the forum Trader,

Center your pattern vertical - Right click on the pattern, select center, select vertical. As you copy the pattern drag the copy close then do the same. You can slide the patterns from side to side and line them up.

You might find it helpful to turn in the grid under Layout/Snap pull-down menu.

deemon328
02-04-2008, 04:52 AM
Alternately, you could use the attach tool on each section of your design and keep it the same distance from the top or bottom if you don't want the pattern centered.

Trader Howland
02-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Welcome to the forum Trader,

Center your pattern vertical - Right click on the pattern, select center, select vertical. As you copy the pattern drag the copy close then do the same. You can slide the patterns from side to side and line them up.

You might find it helpful to turn in the grid under Layout/Snap pull-down menu.

Thanks guys for the replies.
HotPop, I think part of my problem may be that I CAN'T get the image to center correctly (see my attached .jpg-the third one, from first post) It shows the image after I've selected everything then chose 'Center' then 'Center Vertically'. You'll notice there are 2 horizontal 'cuts' running the length of the board about a 1/4 inch from top and bottom . When I center/vertically, the bottom cut ends up in the center of the board, top cut stays put. some of my smaller spirals move closer to center (causing them to become 'smashed' together) while my larger spirals don't seem to move at all.

Hotpotp, you said,
" As you copy the pattern drag the copy close then do the same. You can slide the patterns from side to side and line them up."

Can you explain how you do this? Are you using keys or key combinations while dragging? Sorry for such a long-winded start here on the boards--I've searched, watched tutorials, etc.--just can't seem to grasp certain things quite yet.

Dyna Rider
02-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Hello Trader

What I have found to date, Is that each element placed on the board is referenced to the centerline, or the boards edges. To be able to select multiply elements and then center the selection box on the centerline. The element within the selection box would need to be referenced to each other. So to copy and past, sliding it alone the horizontal centerline, you’ll need to lock down each element of the design to the centerline using attachments. Will at lest, this my best guess at this time from what I believe you are trying accomplish.

Bill

hotpop
02-04-2008, 08:38 AM
OK, I think I see the problem. I think you will need to attach the patterns to a grid with the snap to grid function.

pkunk
02-04-2008, 10:02 AM
I wonder.... it seems that maybe all the elements are not moving together. Go to edit > select all. then try to move. If that doesn't work then one or more elements are already locked. What would make it easy for you is to have 'copy offset' but you don't have that in your version. If you'd like to post your MPC and the board length you need I'll be happy to give it a go.

Trader Howland
02-04-2008, 11:25 AM
I wonder.... it seems that maybe all the elements are not moving together. Go to edit > select all. then try to move. If that doesn't work then one or more elements are already locked. What would make it easy for you is to have 'copy offset' but you don't have that in your version. If you'd like to post your MPC and the board length you need I'll be happy to give it a go.

Hi pkunk, 'Edit>select all' will allow me to select and move EVERYTHING. I just can't figure out how to copy>paste EVERYTHING and have the copy paste right on top of the element that was just copied then have the ability to slide the pasted elements to continue the pattern down the length of the board until the board has the repeated pattern down its entire length.

The way I'm having to do it -so far, I copy>paste, but when I paste, the elements/new copy appear just south and east, if you will, of the original elements. I then have to drag the new copy up to where I want it to go and 'eyeball' it to make a continuation of the pattern down the board.

Under my carving list I renamed the group (the one I'm trying to copy>paste>continue down board) to "Copy".

PS_How does one know when an element is locked (aside from not being able to move it)--has it something to do with the numbers changing to yellow?

I think I may have chosen to do something a little too complicated for a first project and I feel like I've really created a MESS--arrrr!

DrBob
02-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Hi Trader
I hope you dont mind I cleaned up your file a bit to make it a little easier to see what you are doing.
All you have to do is...click on copy in the list and then right click and choose select all in group..then you can right click anywhere in that highlighted group and choose copy and then click on the board then right click on the board and choose paste and move pattern to where you want it...then repeat as many times as you need....this does get easier as you go along....

Bob

Trader Howland
02-04-2008, 07:47 PM
AAAHHHHH! It's all coming to me so clearly now. Thanks, all. I've kinda got this thing figured out a little, at least for what I've been trying to do. I'm learning what to do with setting the numbers to align with the horizontal centerline and other points. I think that's been the bulk of my problem along with a little too much ambition and too little patience.

Thanx for the clean up tip and the copy/paste tip, DrBob. Looks less intimidating when your carving list is better organized.

DrBob
02-05-2008, 05:00 AM
Glad to help.
Anytime.
Bob

rstudley
06-06-2008, 09:57 AM
This seems like a similar problem. I drew a rectangle and centered it on the board using the Layout menu/"Center both" command, which seems to lock the shape on center. When I copy it and paste, the copy is locked on center also. Can't move either shape off center. The steps below do not seem to make sense, am I missing something?
--or---
Is there a way to align two rectangles by their centers, without centering on the board? I can only see tools to align edges, or to align a group but not for shapes relative to other shapes.

rstudley
06-06-2008, 10:46 AM
I thought I might be able to use Copy Offset command to solve my center-lock problem, described in my previous post. This command is described under LAYOUT in the CW handbook.

When I make a rectangle and have it selected, I do not see the command in the Layout pulldown menu for "Copy Offset", as shown in the handbook--- or an icon on the toolbar. All my toolbars are visible

rstudley
06-06-2008, 10:56 AM
RE my center locking problem: I tried Bob's method posted 2/04 of copying the object in the Carve menu, then clicking on the board and pasting using the right mouse button. But it seems that if the original object has been centered on the board, the copied object will also be locked on the board center and won't move.

"So, don't center an object you want to copy and paste" I hear you say.

Again, my problem is, is there any other way to center objects upon one another by their centers?

rstudley
06-06-2008, 11:19 AM
I see pkunk posted a note on 2/4/08 that Traders' software version does not have Copy Offset in Layout Menu, as mine does not.

I just downloaded version 1.126 of the software from the website, onto my PC running Vista, but there is still no Copy Offset command.

Any thoughts?

Amonaug
06-06-2008, 11:50 AM
To unlock center you select it again for the object you wish to uncenter. Most of the tools are like that (mirror, etc.) When they are active they should have a light blue background, selecting it again turns it off.

If you select both rectangles at the same time the alignment tools become active. There are 6 of them, align top, align bottom, align left, align right, align group vertically & align group horizontally. Unfortunately there is no align to edge. You could turn on snap to grid to get that.

rstudley
06-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Brilliant! As Forrest Gump said, "that's one less thing to worry about"
Thank you